Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Reality (of) TV Bushcraft/Survival
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(11 April 2014, 15:52)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]BP theres no doubt Ray is skilled and has a natural aptitude towards bushcraft and wilderness survival but he is still primarily a TV adventurer, where as John wiseman rarely if ever appear on TV nore did Eddie Mgee but their legacy to bushcraft and survival was world changing.

ok, i'll concede the latter.
obviously my "reply of the century" was not aimed at NR...
Anyway who cares so long as they are encouraging people to learn vital skills.
(11 April 2014, 15:48)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]and there was me thinking you might have said something of interest.

Such as.......

(10 April 2014, 13:47)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]you have to remember for most TV viewers this has nothing to do with reality what so ever, its just entertainment and nothing more.

(10 April 2014, 13:52)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]I have the greatest respect for Ray Mears, but hey, get real, we all know he didn't hike for 6 hours, the TV company hired a Helicopter...right??Big Grin

(11 April 2014, 08:50)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 April 2014, 21:42)Rush2112 Wrote: [ -> ]While Bear Grylls show was entertaining, anyone trying to survive like that will probably end up severly injured or worse. Cant see myself taking a running jump off a cliff and grabbing a tree to climb down. Can see myself missing the tree and ending up paralyzed. I'll take the long way around, thanks.

exactly, BG is an accident waiting to happen. I like the "Bush Tucker Man"...remember him?

(11 April 2014, 15:22)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]sorry NR, cant agree with you about Ray Mears, I have watched him progress from a minor role in the "Tracks" programme years ago, to a fully fledged outdoorsman, I believe he even has his own outdoor school, where all BG's does is sell expensive kit.

(11 April 2014, 15:31)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]and a big head and an even bigger ego.

Please do pop me back in your ignore list!

[Image: wanker.gif]
The only way to understand the difficulties of surviving in our countryside is to actually try it out. Anyone can survive for a week with supplies etc, but the real test comes when you apply the worst case scenario test and try to do it with the minimum of gear. Shelter, fire making equipment, water purification, snares, etc. Only eat what you can trap, shoot, fish or forage. For water if you have no rivers or springs then it's ditch water that you will have to purify to survive. Try it for one week, you will find water is the least of your worries if you have effective filtration as you can drink anything, food on the other hand will be much harder to get and by the end of the week you will be willing to rip new born puppies apart to eat. Those of you with access to land should try this, as it really is an eye opener.
(11 April 2014, 22:01)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]The only way to understand the difficulties of surviving in our countryside is to actually try it out. Anyone can survive for a week with supplies etc, but the real test comes when you apply the worst case scenario test and try to do it with the minimum of gear. Shelter, fire making equipment, water purification, snares, etc. Only eat what you can trap, shoot, fish or forage. For water if you have no rivers or springs then it's ditch water that you will have to purify to survive. Try it for one week, you will find water is the least of your worries if you have effective filtration as you can drink anything, food on the other hand will be much harder to get and by the end of the week you will be willing to rip new born puppies apart to eat. Those of you with access to land should try this, as it really is an eye opener.

I tried this for 5 weeks...granted it was on a tropical island with coconuts aplenty...and the shelter building was the hardest part to 'master'. We had a heavy storm one night and that survival skills crap failed miserably. A hard lesson learned. Next time I was out with the lads snowboarding and we made shelters for fun...Damn right I put in a crap load more effort. If it was a real survival situation in a colder climate, the tropical storm would have been a killer!!! Glad I learned that lesson safely.
(11 April 2014, 22:01)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]The only way to understand the difficulties of surviving in our countryside is to actually try it out. Anyone can survive for a week with supplies etc, but the real test comes when you apply the worst case scenario test and try to do it with the minimum of gear. Shelter, fire making equipment, water purification, snares, etc. Only eat what you can trap, shoot, fish or forage. For water if you have no rivers or springs then it's ditch water that you will have to purify to survive. Try it for one week, you will find water is the least of your worries if you have effective filtration as you can drink anything, food on the other hand will be much harder to get and by the end of the week you will be willing to rip new born puppies apart to eat. Those of you with access to land should try this, as it really is an eye opener.

This sounds like it could be a very good challenge! Who fancies a week going feral??

This sounds like it could be a very good challenge! Who fancies a week going feral??
I thought you'd never ask BM.
(11 April 2014, 23:28)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought you'd never ask BM.

I'm amazed I got to post that before you did!
Did the week feral twice nearly 30 years ago in Brunei...I can honestly say it was the darkest shittest time of my life....I'm hoping I never have to live of the land fully ever again....you never stop thinking about food, you get fixated am sure if it went on long enough you'd lose the plot.
Pages: 1 2 3 4