Survival UK Forums

Full Version: DATA security (advice please)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Once again its costing me money to fix my PC cos a Trojan or other Malware has gotten onto my PC, this time either from a Web site I was looking at for codes to program my Toshiba TV to run off my Sky remote, or a Gun website I was browsing. Anyhoo my point is I'm thinking about storing my files, photos, plans and docs on one PC UNCONNECTED to the web, and Browsing online on another PC. If I find something I want to keep, scanning it then saving it to the ONLINE pc then transferring it it the offline PC.

Watcha think? I'm Purdy sure I'll be overlooking something or missing something.
you should probably use a few different memory sticks, ultra redundancy!
The main causes of viruses is the mount of adult sites a person would visit, or the emails from people someone doesn't know that have attachments.

Those are the main 2 culprits of viruses.

Why not just get an external memory box thingy? SD made me get a hefting one a few months back.
Well if you're going to run Windoze then expect virii.

Switch to Linux, and you're free.

Raspberry Pi - £45 all in.
Connect to monitor, keyboard & mouse; job done.

Or go for a NAS: http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-2TB-Cloud-Per...ywords=NAS

Can be access on any of your smartphones / tablets etc, when you have internet connection.

Just need to set up port forwarding to get it going.
Scythe, you forgot a decent internet security programme, not crappy Norton that is so polite it holds the door open for bugs while they get in. LOL
for once Scythe is quite right, I kept getting a "Police" virus on my laptop from visiting #ahem# "adult sites", my AVG is pretty good at getting rid of it but it would keep coming back, last time it happened I made a conscious decision to stay on the regular sites and I haven't had any problems since.
(11 April 2014, 14:08)TOF Wrote: [ -> ]Scythe, you forgot a decent internet security programme, not crappy Norton that is so polite it holds the door open for bugs while they get in. LOL

HAHA That's brilliant!
that's what is bugging me ( pun intended) I've got the paid for version of AVG 2014 ,Malware bytes pro paid for, Firewall and windows defender yet this twat of a thing keeps reasserting itself.

This little bugger mimics STSWOW64 Rundll32 .
Use SpyBot Search and Destroy.

If you already have a slow computer, it'll slow it down a little more, but if you have a nice fast computer, you won't notice a difference.
(11 April 2014, 14:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]that's what is bugging me ( pun intended) I've got the paid for version of AVG 2014 ,Malware bytes pro paid for, Firewall and windows defender yet this twat of a thing keeps reasserting itself.

This little bugger mimics STSWOW64 Rundll32 .

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.ph...pic=110649
That'll walk you through removing it.