Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Walking Poles - I hate myself just thinking of them!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to get this out as quickly as possible, yes I hate myself for suggesting anything at all to do with these vile things...

I'm looking at getting a couple of walking poles to try out as variable shooting sticks.

If anyone else has any experience with these, please let me know.

There is no way I'm saying NR was right!!! But I'm just looking into them for other purposes.

Damn, I hate myself, but it could well be of benefit to the shooters on the forum, so I'm posting it here.
Yep, I've got one. It extends from 30cm to 145cm. Now I reckon, if you put one of those joint thingies in the top that you can screw items into(I'm a girl, I can't do technical) you could have something that's a walking stick, tent/basha pole, and on removing the handle a universal screw joint to take a camera, rod rest, or whatever else you can think of.
Never used them, nor seen the need, but that's not to say you might not find them useful, go ahead and try some out Scythe. The only thing I've ever used like one would be a Staff about six foot long, great for out of reach fruit and the like, also good for vaulting across ditches.
(17 April 2014, 12:48)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]also good for vaulting across ditches.

I opt for the run-fast-and-hope-for-the-best technique haha.

I'll give it a go and see what I think. I won't be using it for hiking, just for taking shots. If something happens that makes me think they'd be useful for hiking, e.g. an injury, they'll be coming out for testing then too. Could also be useful for someone else in a group.
I'd be interested in your review as I've been thinking about getting one that can just be strapped to the outside of my back packs "if" they are both strong and collapse down to a reasonable size (as it's unlike to see much use).
(17 April 2014, 15:09)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be interested in your review as I've been thinking about getting one that can just be strapped to the outside of my back packs "if" they are both strong and collapse down to a reasonable size (as it's unlike to see much use).

I'll give them a big test and see how they are mate.

My primary use will be as shooting sticks, but again, if they can go small enough, then I'll play around with their versatility. Maybe look into a possible tent pole application (unlikely, because I have tube style tents).
Mine is ancient, its basically a length of bamboo with a glass fibre rod bonded down its insides to give it both strength and flexability, the handle is synthetic some sort of hard plastic with a notch cut in it which is ideal for supporting a rifle barrel or spotting scope, and on the bottom theirs a threaded bit of brass that I can screw a spike or rubber foot to.
What's vile about them?

I always carry a pair of them when trekking

They are a bloody useful piece of kit and have proven critical on numerous occasions.

When trekking heavily laded in mountains they are great aids for stability.

Things to look for are: wrist straps, elastomer shock absorbers, calibration marks on the shafts so that you can dial in your preferred length every time, hardened steel tips, and snow caps. Grips made of cor or rubber seem to be equal.
I've got 2 of the collapsible ones and a wooden staff jobby. I prefer the wooden one, it's bloody strong, and more substantial than the collapsible ones. I use mine when I've got a heavy load, or a long trek. I find it helps quite a bit. Handy for shelter constructs too.

Be interested in the review, if you find some reasonably priced, laterally strong poles let me know
see ive been thinking of getting/making a shooting stick for when im out with the dog (one of the main reasons is theres a gang of tossers walking round setting their akitas on people and their dogs) but since im still reasonably young i dunno if this would actually draw more attention to me.....
Pages: 1 2