Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring - The Antibiotics don't work.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Always knew that there would be problems and now WHO is
drawing our attention to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27204988

Preventative -- Be OCD about washing your hands and just generally keeping clean.
i had scarlet fever about 6 weeks ago after trying to fight it off myself with asprin and paras, i went to see the doc gave me clarithromycin 500mg wich is ment to be a strong antibiotic.
within 2 days i was much better eating my first meal in 9/10 days drinking without great pain.
finished the course but within a week or so it was back so back to the docs more meds but told not to take them only if it gets worse another 3 weeks later i still have a slightly swollen throat but it has gone[ i hope]

so yes meds that are ment to kill of wats wrong are at least struggleing.

overall i now think i was a fool trying to sort it out myself , i only made myself worse and if got to the docs sooner meds may of worked better.
honestly OCD clean hands are also a negative point, i try and NOT wash my hands whenever i can, i don't fall ill, and hopefully i'm keeping the ol' immune system ticking along nicely
(1 May 2014, 14:03)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]honestly OCD clean hands are also a negative point, i try and NOT wash my hands whenever i can, i don't fall ill, and hopefully i'm keeping the ol' immune system ticking along nicely

That's exactly what my thinking was when I read the OCD bit and I though I'd look for some evidence to support the view but couldn't find any Huh

And the following seems to dispel that view altogether:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/P...-good.aspx

But I'm still not convinced Big Grin
When I suggested OCD, maybe you couldn't see tongue in cheek. But Binnie and devonian, I think thats being irresponsible IMHO.

Take for example flu pandemic (which is not relevant to antibiotics I know but bare with me).

All studies show that keeping hands washed and being careful about cleanliness is important.
Try taking care of someone with V + D and not wash your hands.
Try doing an op or any procedure without washing your hands.

Binnie, you're the reason why I don't eat the nuts in the pub. Did you remember to wash your hands after handling your d..k?

:-)
It's worth emphasising the importance of good diet and maintenance of general fitness in order to promote a strong immune system also.

There appears to be a major outbreak of Scarlet Fever at the moment, especiallÅ· around the Midlands. Cases 8x higher than same time last year. I had it as a kid, so presumably now have some immunity.
(1 May 2014, 14:47)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]Binnie, you're the reason why I don't eat the nuts in the pub. Did you remember to wash your hands after handling your d..k?

:-)

nope i wash my d..k in the morning so i'm good for the day lol Big Grin also on the nuts in pubs thing, i'm more likely to suffer from alcohol poisoning, or be run down by a drunk driver, than catch a nasty from some nuts.

Obviously i wouldn't give medical assistance, or prepare food for someone else without washing my hands, but where my own health is concerned, i take it "in my own hands" so to speak, i haven't died yet so it can't be that bad can it?

I'll try and phrase this next bit as nicely as i can...... bear with me on this..........food for thought tho.......

Before performing oral sex on a partner, does one command said partner to break out the wire brush and dettol to ensure all bacteria have been eliminated??? or will normal hygiene practices suffice???

so what difference does washing your hands after a tinkle, or suchlike actually make?
Re Hygiene and oral sex (almost Off Topic)

Believe it or not - infection via that route is becoming a problem.
although this is funny can we clean it up "no pun intended "for the more sensitive site users
Personal hygiene in any situation is very important. Any individual can boost their own immune system by exposing it to any agent, but then said individual can pass the infection on to parties that have not yet acquired any immunity to said agent. Just observe how many people do not wash their hands after being to the toilet. Recent research in the UK showed that 70% of surfaces in public areas swab contained various concentrations of faecal matter, Human shit being the most prevalent. You can imagine what the situation would be post any breakdown. I always carry a quantity of tincture of Iodine 2% which is a very good agent for several uses, one being a quick way of cleaning hands. You do not have to be OCD about hygiene, just Sensible.
Pages: 1 2