Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Thatched magic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is nothing magical, however, I think there may be people that could find a way to use this information.

Have you ever been in a thatched house and tried to get phone signal?

When you start wondering why not, you should pop outside and look at the metal mesh covering the thatching. It stops all signal going in and out of the house.

I'm sure there are ways you could use this sort of thing to stay hidden?
We have a similar thing in our offices where we have a sheet steel roof, getting a phone signal used to be a right pain, until we installed a signal repeater thingy that captures the signal outside and brings it into the building.

Makes you wonder whether these types of structure would act like a faraday cage and provide some level of protection to the electronics in them from an EMF Blast???
Would this help to protect your electronics during an emp event
To shield against EMP, a faraday cage needs to completely surround an object,

Interesting that Devonian has experience of having to install external GSM antennas and repeaters in a steel roofed building. That just shows that the roof is shielding against radio waves sufficiently to reduce reception within the building.

EMP is effectively high power radio frequency energy. A steel roof, or chicken wire clad straw roof would reduce EMP but not shield from it completely.
Makes you wonder about the B&Q type steel frame, steel clad industrial buildings as to whether or not they would offer protection against an EMF blast?

The steel portal frames would certainly provide a good ground/earthing for the structure and with the cladding on all walls and the roof, it would certainly be enclosed. The only issue I guess would be roof lights, windows and doors, but doors are normally either steel doors, or metal roller shutters.

Can't really be any different to a steel container with a connected ground plate/rod being used as a faraday cage?????