Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Hens go nuts!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like many who keep chickens, I boil up all the peelings from the veg and give them this firs thing in the morning, the other week there was some left over spaghetti so I threw that into the mix.......I was amazed......they went nuts.....they love spaghetti ! ......so now I feed them this....from Aldi,s for 19 pence ...boil up and mix with peelings and watch yours go nuts for pennies....have to laugh......the looks we get from people at the checkout.......that poor couple! They must live on spagbol! .......poor buggers.
I used to get pitiful looks when I used to rummage through the reduced bread and cakes.
They also enjoy porridge, I think the spaghetti thing is universal among chickens
the hens think its worms of course good cheap supply of carbs but to laid well they need protein layer pellets mash or free range lots of bugs and worm to find at 19p it cheap for a few hens with a bag of feed around 8.00
Yes I agree GM.....mixed corn,layers pellets and layers mash I feed mine every day......the main reason for my thread was I have loads of spaghetti as part of my prepps, when tshtf we will not get the normal feeds....plus the out of date spaghetti has another use.
Nothing quite so funny as watching a hen trying to "kill" a long piece of spaghetti! I grow chard specially for the hens during the winter. They do love their greens.
Mine also go nuts over cornbread and day old pancakes.

if you want so see a real show give them some bread with peanut butter. they will spend the next half hour wiping their beaks on the ground.
gunna try that tomorrow MB.....thanks for the tip mary.
They eat almost anything. The kids threw out some stuff for the compost heap with the food scraps and they ate everything bar banana and orange peel, tea bags and the outer of onions. I now feed them almost everything, except those, and if I'm not sure I just throw it in to see what they do.

What is left over goes in the compost bin. Which ain't much.
Oh yes, mine love leftovers from KFC!