Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Fear of Failure and being Laughed at
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wow, now this is going to raise a couple of eye-brows.

I have had it described that because I popped back to my car a few times when testing gear, that I am incapable of bugging out...or along those lines. HAHAHAHA, comedians. Them be some funny people them be haha.

For the Hunting Skills thread, I'm failing pretty badly and I'm writing up about it.

Does this mean that I'm a failure? Does it mean that I'm an idiot for writing up these things? Does it mean that I do not have knowledge on the subjects with which I speak?

The simple answer is....NO WAY!!!

But more importantly, if you tried and didn't succeed, if you tried to grow carrots and got nothing but weeds, if you tried to get a photo of a rabbit and didn't get anything at all, if you tried to bug out and couldn't get more than 100 meters from your house or car, that doesn't mean you've failed at all!!!

Quite the opposite, really.

You have been more successful than EVERYONE ELSE who just sits there and criticises you.

For example, and I know this kid is a hardy bugger and stubborn as an ox...yes Danzord, I mean you mate. I haven't asked him if it's okay to use him as an example, but I know he'll be cool with it.

For the camping trip, with bugging out with the gear he had, he did not fail.

Could he bug out with that much gear? Yes.
Could he bug out a good distance with that gear? No.
DZ will be the first to say it wasn't practical and the weight to purpose ratio just wasn't right.

At the end of the weekend he went away with a smile on his face. He had achieved a night or 2 out on Dartmoor, and had taken steps towards trying out his equipment.

DZ was a resounding success.
He succeeded in being able to refine his gear.
He succeeded in knowing what gear needed changing.
He succeeded in knowing what gear he should keep.
He succeeded in racking up good walking mileage.
He succeeded in pushing his limits.
He succeeded in much more.

Hat's off to DZ. Well done mate. He's already looking forward to the next meet.

The thing is, many people would be scared to say that they didn't achieve something perfectly. They would be scared of the criticism, of being laughed at, of being chastised, of being ridiculed, and stuff like that.

Well you know what...that will not happen on this forum!

"Failure" should not stop you posting your experiences. It should not stop you trying and posting what went right and what went wrong. It should not stop you from posting up and asking for help.

Just to let you know, if anyone knocks you for what you're asking or they slam you for not getting something 100% correct, or even 10% correct, that person will be on the wrong side of the Mods and they will be in trouble for doing so.

We have 2 forum members having a go at their first bug out. I for one cannot wait to see how they did. I wish them both the best, and I look forward to learning from their experiences. Negative feedback is not going to help them progress and develop, so it will not be accepted. As a forum we are here for each other, and shall work towards helping each other improve their situation as much as we can.

Now...this is a demand....get out, enjoy yourself, try things out, and post back about how they work or don't work. This forum is not the place for an ego-war, and you, as a forum posting member, have the right to be respected for having a go in the first place, and more importantly, be even more respected for asking for help from those around you.

If you're still reading this, you're not out prepping. Stop reading and go prep! If you don't know what to do....go find 5 UK wild plant species and go make a 5 leaf salad (remember to rinse off the bugs though, and beware of weed killer)...that might be a clue for the next S13 Challenge.
Well said, and I truly believe that you only really learn by doing things wrong and understanding why and what you need to change next time. Even then this is often an iterative process as you hone and perfect your skills/ideas.........

Other times failure may have nothing to do with your skills or ability, circumstances or external conditions may affect the outcome, but again you learn this as part of the process, and learning how such conditions affect the outcome is just as important and may help to prevent wasted efforts in the future.

I always remember the Tom Hanks film 'Castaway' when he is on the beach trying to make fire day after day and how he is learning from the experience about what works best and the changes to the set up he makes as a result.
we all learn from our mistakes.
(8 May 2014, 14:47)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]I always remember the Tom Hanks film 'Castaway' when he is on the beach trying to make fire day after day and how he is learning from the experience about what works best and the changes to the set up he makes as a result.

LOL, there's a story there, ask Scythe.Blush
(8 May 2014, 15:49)TOF Wrote: [ -> ]
(8 May 2014, 14:47)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]I always remember the Tom Hanks film 'Castaway' when he is on the beach trying to make fire day after day
LOL, there's a story there, ask Scythe.Blush

Which one? Maybe...something to do with a flint and steel? Or the 19+ that you have thrown over your neighbour's fence in frustration?