Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Optics saved us trouble.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can't believe I forgot to mention this. The camping was purposefully not 'reviewed' or given a write up because it was just camping. But there was 1 thing that really was meant to be written up and it was forgotten....sorry. Just remembered and here it is.

Last weekend I was treated to a camping trip with the wife and our three dogs. While we were enjoying the first day there, my lovely wife decided that 5 miles of walking had to be more like 12.5 miles. So off we continued, walk 2 from the car onwards...again.

We came across a walled off and gated area. Read the sign, we were good to go and follow a certain path, because of the time of year.

The cows were down a little valley and I was obsessing with my optics, as usual. I wanted to check them out first (I hate cows). So out with the optics. As the wife was walking, the cows started to get really agitated And making some angry moo sounds. She stopped walking towards them and came back over to me.

When she suggested walking carefully through, I handed her the optics. There were many calf's and a really big bull.

If we had continued without checking ahead first, from a safe distance...trouble.

The bull was already moving to the end of the herd closest to us, and the calf's and mothers were moving away.

Having the ability to check ahead could well save your life, or that of your dogs.
your problem was the dogs, cows don't like dogs.
Optics saved any problems mate. I'm just using this as a real life example of how useful optics can be.

I used to hate them, only using optics for my guns. Well, that's changed a lot recently, and this experience has greatly re-enforced how awesome optics can be.
depends what you mean by optics, although you'll get no argument from me, I prefer binoculars myself but the wife prefers a monocular herselfBig Grin