Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Bristol 10K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am home after enjoying a leisurely 10k run around Bristol (TOF, I'll get a picture of my medal and tshirt for completing the race). It was great fun.

Is it really a prep? Well, health and fitness should be one of your main preps. Staying in good condition has all manner of benefits, so if it's not a prep you're taking seriously, then when heart disease (one of the biggest killers in the UK) comes knocking, well...I'm not going to say I told you so (who am I kidding, yes I will!!!)

One of the greatest benefits of the run, aside from great fun and an awesome excuse to run around Bristol, is that I get to weigh myself up against a 'fit element' of the population average. Basically, of the fitter people in society, I get an idea of where abouts I'd be. We all know that there are those super unfit people running around. But if you imagine the middle of the pack as being your starting point, then you measure yourself from there forwards....or backwards, depending where you end up.

Am I looking forward to the next run? Hell yeah!

The real kicker is, I know that WTSHTF, I am able to out run an average person, and maintain a good speed over a 10km distance (granted it was all VERY flat, except 1 little incline and 1 decline). Do I feel good about that? Nope. It means that there are still a lot of people that could easily catch me. Granted I'd be able to look after myself, but always better to stay away from it all. If running helps me get away from it......brilliant.

The next race will be held with my wife, both of us running together.
There is only one reason to run.

You are out of ammo!

If you feel you still might have a need to run,

Buy more ammo!
10K?? lets see that's 6 miles in old money...a person Scythe's tender age can probably WALK that in about 2 hours!!!Tongue
(13 May 2014, 15:43)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]10K?? lets see that's 6 miles in old money...a person Scythe's tender age can probably WALK that in about 2 hours!!!Tongue

And many people did walk it. The thing is mate, having the ability to run it, and put in a good time, will put you into a very high bracket of people.

If you ever need to get away from them, you have a massive advantage over the average person.
Nice one scythe I need to improve my 10k
I'm going to try a crazy intense training course soon, so will post back about how it was.

Next time you're on a 10K mate, let me know. Might be doing the same one.
Had a few mate do that one - good stuff mate!

Ter
Fitness is definitely a prep. I used to be able to run 10k in under an hour. I can still run 10k in under an hour but I'm 2 stone heavier now so I must be fitter. 2 stone is over a months worth of calories and I always carry it with me!

If you regularly do 10k then a half marathon isn't too hard.........?
A half marathon is twice the distance of a 10k. If you can run a 10k and look like you're ready for another (which my life was laughing at) then you'll probably be okay. However, if you look like your mid-childbirth after your 10k, then probably not.

Also, check out the amount of time you'll spend recovering. Many people that ran the 10k were bust up for a good few days. Think how much worse twice that distance would be on those people. Poor buggers. If you're looking to do a half marathon, SUF, message me and I'll drop you some cool bits of info.

The thing is, being fit cannot be a bad thing (we've all seen stuff about how the cold has hit the ultra-fit-super-low-body-fat groups but that's why extra clothing and smart preps come into things). However, being unfit can really screw a person over! High blood pressure, diabetes at an older age (late onset diabetes), heart attacks, weakened immune system, increased chance of strokes, etc.
If you can do 10k once every other week in training (I can) then a half marathon isn't too difficult (I have) I tend to ignore my weight now and just concentrate on fitness. If I'm overweight I don't worry, If I'm unfit, I do something about it. Weight and fitness aren't necessarily linked. I have a good base level of fitness and even after a few months out it only takes 2 weeks to get back to that level again.
Pages: 1 2