Survival UK Forums

Full Version: The Lone Wolf
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, this has not come up recently and it'll be good to get some new opinions on this.

Is it possible for a person to go lone wolf and survive for a year or 2 post SHTF?
I would think so....not sure of how they would cope on the mental front shunning/avoiding other humans but I feel from a practical standpoint yes...easier to provide for one than a group.
yes, not a problem for some of us, shunning/avoiding all human contact would be the preferred option immediately post SHTF.
Absolutely yes!

I see no problem with going it alone at all, but then I already live alone, spend a lot of time on my own and I am not very trusting of people I don't know LOL!!

In fact the idea of joining up with others "after an event" for mutual benefit and protection etc sends a shiver down my spine as I would never trust them, and why should they trust me? Also I think most people I encounter in life (preppers aside) would actually be a complete liability, so unless its people I already know and trust, I would be more than happy to go it alone.

To turn it around a bit, who has the better chance:

1. The Lone Wolf who can move around much more freely and covertly; who only has to feed himself; who doesn't need to provide for and protect others and who is far less likely to be seen as a major threat than a larger group. (Though obviously if the lone wolf gets badly injured, things would instantly become more difficult for him)

or; what will probably be the most common situation:

2. The typical family group with husband and wife; 2.4 children; and elderly relatives plus possibly extended families (brothers/sisters and their families/relatives) which quickly develops into a large(ish) which needs a lot of food and resources which will not be easy to come by. This group will also never be very stealthy and will be prone to being raided (due to their visibility); also when out scavenging they will be seen as a clear threat (ie: probably 3+ adults in a scavenging group, tooled up searching for supplies) and they may therefore encounter lethal resistance when entering property, again leaving the remainder of the group without what was probably its most able members.

But then for me the best option would always be a "small" group of like minded 'capable' individuals who already know and trust each other.
no prob ,the only down side would be sickness or if you hurt your self bad
That would be my only concern BB
I am at a loss as to how anyone in GB could propose to spend a year without contact with another person, either positive or negative.

Contact and interaction will be forced upon you.
(16 May 2014, 20:56)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]I am at a loss as to how anyone in GB could propose to spend a year without contact with another person, either positive or negative.

Contact and interaction will be forced upon you.

That's not the way I read it.

I see it as being whether or not you are able to survive on your own without having the support and help of your own group.

So yes you can be surviving alone and still have contact/interactions with others such as bartering for supplies and meeting others that are living in the same area. But other people see the best solution being part of a group with different skill sets that enable them to work together for a common cause.
at first yes but as time goes on i would think you would fair better as part of a group ., you have to except that you canot do everything yourself and having folk around who would care for you as you would care for them in turn for me would be best.
a group made up of say family members or very close friends you have known for MANY years is one thing. there is an old saying:"if you don't know then, haven't worked with them or spent time with them, then DONT trust them", I'd rather be on my own(a situation I am well accustomed to and enjoy) than be in a group of strangers and get a knife in my ribs in the middle of the night.

large groups tend to spend too much time discussing and arguing than actually doing anything, I have personal experience of this, so a smaller more intimate group would seem to be the way to go-if groups are your thing, its not mine.
Pages: 1 2 3