Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Taking Inventory?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Obviously this is a simple enough thing, and it makes sense to do, but a lot of people are not into the massive level of organisation required, and just plan to 'wing it'.

Taking inventory is not going to be interesting, however, it would really come in handy with meal planning and with rationing supplies.

So, would you rather be super organised, know your numbers and use when you wanted, or just wing it?

What's your style and why have you opted to go down that route?
Rotation, rotation, rotation. I gave up storing long term after realising paranoia was starting to seep in to my life. I keep a relatively careful note of what I have. one out, one in and all that and all is used in date order. I don't keep lists, as I know what I use and keep x amounts of each item which is then supplemented with homegrown, preserved and foraged foodstuffs. Non food items I store and use the same, one in, one out. Nothing worse than going to the cupboard to find you're down to your last 4 pack of loo rolls! Big Grin

That should read a relatively careful mental noteBlush
I keep an inventory of my gear but not my food, its rotate,rotate,rotate.
Inventory lists are not for me, I'd probably just end up losing them and then not having a clue what I have!

Joking aside, I have a pretty good idea of what I have, and currently I just tend to keep adding and adding until I'm happy I have enough of this and that ........
I run my larder, fridge and freezer on instinct and good memory. Inventory lists are not really my style. For things like loo rolls, if I can't get into that cupboard for loo rolls I know I'm on track.
i do try to keep and inventory but fail most of the time.
I do however rotate the food stores.... but have to admit to finding an out of date i`m eating it now consumable sometimes.
the best way to describe my inventory would be `scattered` i know what i have most of the time !
I have preps of several different kinds in several different places.

The contents of those caches do not need to be recorded anywhere but in my mind for legal, moral, ethical reasons, not to mention good common sense.

Anything that is written down or recorded on computer can be recovered and used against you or to seize your goods. If you are using computer spread sheets they are probably already compromised. If you use off site computer security, backup or storage that is a guarantee.
I was thinking more along the lines of a sheet of paper that helps you keep track of what you might have. This would then provide you with knowledge of what more things you'd need to get hold of. I wasn't thinking of a computer based system. If you could imagine, a sheet of paper on a clipboard, that you will keep stored in your loft, so you will always be able to keep a track of what you have available. Maybe one hidden in your kitchen somewhere so you can track the hidden tins you may have around the rest of the house.

Just as a way to know what you have, what you need more of, and the alike.
my "inventory" is a medium sized hard backed notebook and I write it all in there, no point in having a computer based system when the power could go down!Tongue
I recently compiled all my stored food and bottles of water into an Excel spreadsheet. This was partly an exercise to see what actually had and also to see what needed replacing, like the bisuits and cooking oil I had.

This was also for my parents benefit. I have agreed that they can take anything out of the stash as long as it is replaced; an inventory allows them to check for things before shopping. I actually encourage this as this is the best way of rotating for me ATM, whilst also trying to get the rest of my family involved in prepping...
Pages: 1 2