Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Faraday Cage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok fairly simply question.....

Could a metal biscuit tin or sweet tin (think Quality Street or Roses) be used as a simple faraday cage to protect small electronic devices?

And if yes, does it need to be lined to prevent contact between the electrical equipment and the tin itself?
Thanks for the link S13, that web page does state that the internals need to be lined with cardboard or similar to avoid contact between the electronic devices and the tin.

Also the test they give about putting a mobile inside and calling it to test the efficiency of the tin is good - just tried it with a biscuit tin and the mobile didn't ring and the call was diverted to voicemail, so I guess I have a fully functional faraday cage big enough for plenty of portable hard disks; usb flash drives; phones; radio's etc...

Cool

Just in time for the Friday 13th Solar flares

http://news.sky.com/story/1280838/solar-...riday-13th
Hi Dev,

Yes and yes.

make sure that the tin's top is electrically connected to the bottom. Scraping the joint between the two pats back to bare metal will do this.

To test, put a mobile phone in the tin and ring it. If the cage is working, the phone will not ring.
A great expedient is a no longer used, microwave oven, from which you have cut of the power cord, sjmply using the shielded box.
Got a deep pond? Not quite as practical for retrieving said electrickery, but you can't keep fish in a tin either. Well, not live ones.
just put my mobile in a saucepan lid on rang it / no answer.
would i have to line the saucepan...?

sorry ,with its lid on.
Yes, same principal as the biscuit/sweet tin.

I've lined the tin I have on all sides with twin wall cardboard from an old cardboard box, but someone has suggested off the forum to use bubble wrap as an alternative.
I haven't the faintest idea about this sort of thing, which could account for me going the Amish route!!
I used polystyrene ceiling tiles
Pages: 1 2