Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Interesting boots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/wear...obarefoot/

Thought these were interesting lightweight boots. Made out of the same material as the 5 finger shoes. Bit expensive though £114 on amazon
Sacrilege! Confusing the might Vibram 5 Finger with any Vivo filth!!!! I'm kidding. Nice find.

Quick little review for you.
http://toesalad.com/reviews/a-review-of-...nth-hiker/

Beholdeth the power of the 5 finger greatness... http://thefivefingers.co/goods.php?id=368
Womens...damn it. But you will need finger socks for any V5F's you buy.

Guys just get the weird ones. http://thefivefingers.co/goods.php?id=287
Now I must confess I've not tried these sorts of shoes so I could be completely wrong, but from a prepping/survival perspective I really cannot imagine that they would provide you with the support or protection that you would likely need????

The ankle support must be negligible and I'm guessing, but you must feel every stone, piece of glass, nail, sharp edge on the ground as you walk around. So if you are walking around a derelict building or a post riot debris strewn street, then I would just imagine your feet being torn to shreds.

Also from a warmth point of view in colder months, your toes would not benefit from the warmth of your adjacent toes - like wearing gloves rather than the always warmer mittens.
Fad items based on the premise that all feet are shaped the same, all toes are the same length a few folks are willing to pay for something different.

Also part of the barefoot is better syndrome.

If that were so we would not have footwear as some of the earliest archeological material ever found.
a friend of mine had a pair of trainers like this ,he said they were ok but he got very sore and blisters in-between his toes
From Runner's World

Vibram Agrees to Settle Class Action Lawsuit Suit claimed company deceived consumers.
By Matt McCue
Published May 6, 2014

Vibram USA, the company that makes FiveFingers running shoes, has agreed to settle a lawsuit that alleged the company made false and unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of its glove-like footwear. According to the court filings, Vibram settled to put the matter to rest and avoid any additional legal expenses. “Vibram expressly denied and continues to deny any wrongdoing alleged in the Actions, and neither admits nor concedes any actual or potential fault, wrongdoing or liability,” read the court brief.

Valerie Bezdek brought the class action suit against Vibram in March 2012. She filed her complaint in Massachusetts, the state where Vibram’s U.S. headquarters are located. Bezdek alleged that Vibram deceived consumers by advertising that the footwear could reduce foot injuries and strengthen foot muscles, without basing those assertions on any scientific merit. “The gist of her claim is that Vibram illegally obtained an economic windfall from her because it was only by making false health claims that Vibram induced consumers to buy FiveFingers shoes, and to pay more for them than they would have otherwise,” Harvard Law School professor, John C. P. Goldberg, told Runner’s World at the time of the original filing. Subsequent class action suits were filed against Vibram in California and Illinois, and those were absorbed into Bezdek’s case.

The settlement consists of two kinds of relief. The first is refunds to class members who submit valid and completed claim forms. Vibram will deposit $3.75 million into an escrow account and those funds will be distributed to those valid class members who purchased a pair of Vibram FiveFingers between March 21, 2009 and the date of the first dissemination of summary settlement notice or class notice, whichever is earlier. FiveFingers will award up to a maximum of $94 per pair, though the agreement acknowledges that based on similar settlements it is reasonable for class members to expect to receive between $20 and $50 per pair.

Class members can submit a claim for up to two pairs of shoes without any kind of receipt or proof of purchase. (However, FiveFingers can request a verification of purchase should they decide to do so in an effort to prevent against possible fraud.) Anyone who seeks to recover payment on more than two pairs of footwear must submit both a valid claim form and proof of purchase.

If any portion of the $3.75 million remains after the claim payments have been distributed and all administrative and legal costs have been paid, the balance will be donated to the American Heart Association for research on the health benefits of running.

For the second part of the settlement, Vibram has agreed to discontinue to make any claims that FiveFingers footwear is effective in strengthening muscles or reducing injury in its marketing and advertising campaigns, unless the company discovers new scientific evidence that proves it.

Vibam is required to establish a website, http://www.fivefingerssettlement.com , to inform class members of the terms of the agreement. The company is also required to post banner ads with the settlement information on a number of websites, including runnersworld.com and Facebook.com, in order to deliver approximately 300,000,000 impressions.

Per the court agreement, the attorneys for the class members can receive up to 25% of the $3.75 million settlement, or $937,500. Vibram must pay up to an additional $70,000 of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the plaintiff’s counsel in relation to this case.

It was never disclosed if Bezdek, who filed her suit roughly one year after purchasing her pair of Vibram Bikilas, tried to first seek a refund for her FiveFingers prior to initiating the lawsuit.

Was suing a logical or over-the-top reaction for a product that didn’t perform as advertised? Will the suit help to better police a corporation or does it leave consumers not responsible for applying common sense to a marketing boast that sounded too good to be true? Janine Pollack, the lead attorney for the plantiffs, did not respond to questions about Bezdek’s motivation to bring the lawsuit. Christopher Morrison, the lead attorney for the defendant, declined to comment. Vibram USA did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
I have a colleague who swears by his Vibrams for the type of hiking and gully scrambling he does in summer, although had to stop wearing them in the city in summer as the heat on the pavement was too intense.
(8 July 2014, 14:33)Jace Wrote: [ -> ]I have a colleague who swears by his Vibrams for the type of hiking and gully scrambling he does in summer, although had to stop wearing them in the city in summer as the heat on the pavement was too intense.

Normal Vibram soles are fab and totally fit for purpose in my opinion, its the "trendy" Vibram 5 Fingers which I'm not so sure about and CH's posting certainly reinforces that.
That's quite a post CH.

The fun of that matter is...the claims were not backed up by scientific research.

This does not mean the claims are untrue. It certainly does not mean the product in question is bad for you. It just means the company made a claim about a product that had no evidence to back it up, that's all.

I've been wearing Vibrams for years and I love them. I've worn them in summer and winter. Granted they're not the best in the snow. I would actually advise against them in snow!

In regards to Dev's questions about stones and the alike. I've never had a nail or anything pierce my V5F's. But in them you are much more cautious where you tread. You do feel the surface you're walking on much more. There is not the protection if you bang your foot on something. You are much more in ganger of getting stabbed between the toes if you're treading down thorns. But the comfort of everyday wear, the light weight, the versatility, and the adaptability make them ideal for me.

Because of the lack of heel cushioning, you are forced to WALK much more slowly, and if you're going to transition to them for running, your calves will be f**ked for a while. I can happily do a 5-10k and not feel my calves ache afterwards any more than anyone else would. But time has allowed me to adapt, same as anyone else looking for V5F's as running aids. I can happily run the same speed in them, but my muscle ache is much lower now that I'm running in them.

Personally, I love them! Granted they stink to high heaven, because I don't wear finger socks with them, but that aside...love them.

There have been no claims to the best of my knowledge, that suggest that V5F shoes are bad for your health.

Everyone I know that wears them loves them and they are super comfortable.
Vibram lugged soles used for mountaineering boots are indeed wonderful and I've used them for years.

My Crespi desert boots I bought in Italy several years ago came with them.
Pages: 1 2