Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Mains water cut warning system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have a dilemma with our water system.

Originally it was a direct mains fed system, with no cold water tank in the loft. This was of course unsatisfactory, especially as our mains water is prone to being cut without any warning whatsoever.

A normal coffin style cold water tank was installed. This is capable to overcome the water cuts, but there’s a snag. Namely that when the water gets cut off we are no longer aware of it as the cold water tank acts as a buffer….. and oblivious, we go on leaving taps open for longer than we ought, and the ladies of the household keep the toilet in constant use of course. Result is that we use up the buffer faster than we would if we’d known the supply was cut, and still out taps run dry:-(

A solution came to me this morning. Fitting a low pressure switch to the water main inlet, and wiring it up to a little battery powered, hard wired door bell. Door bells cost a couple of quid, and I’m currently looking at low cost pressure switches…. Looks like a cost of around £18 is called for there.

Once installed, we will be alerted to mains water cut off by a suitable door-bell type chime, and hopefully not get caught out again.
There is no noticeable drop in pressure when the mains supply shuts off?

My gravity fed systems always had weaker pressure than the mains, which would have a noticeable affect.
Hi Morty,

Mains water feeds the cold water tank and level is controlled with a floating ball valve.

The cold water tank then feeds the house at constant pressure.

There is no detectable drop in pressure until the tank empties at which point everything stops.