Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Preparing for what?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi everyone

Quick question.

What are you personally getting ready for?

Things like inflation making food unaffordable. Petrol shortage. Civil disorder. More riots. The list goes on.

But who here is getting ready for 'the big one' or something like that?

Also, how do you feel about that kind of situation?
EVERYTHING...I try and keep up to date with all world news and as you can see, I post possible interesting bits for members perusal.
Some are interested others are not, each to there own. I have a basic plan which suits most probable scenarios that may occur. BUT due to the uncertain aspects of the possible events, my plans remain fluid and able to change depending on what happens. I tried the set in stone plans before and they tend to fail if you've not got adequate back up plans in place, so instead of having multiple plans I have one big one thats fluid as I said.
I've made my plans so they are quickly adaptable on the spot, for example with the nation were in being noted for its noseyness, I've opted out of having scattered stashes because of the high chance of discovery then subsequent loss of gear. Only the other day for example what was once a previously secluded spot I had located nearby is now undergowing considerable restoration work. This is again something you have to keep doing, checking your bug out locations if you have them for intrusion, tampering and or building work nearby etc... as theres no point bugging out in the future to a site thats now got houses built over your bug out stash... I also have Rendezvous points for family to meet at at a prearanged signal. I.e. Rv point one everybody meet there and wait for x ammount of time then on to point two etc. that way nobody has to be the hero and try and rescue people, and also everyone has some degree of responsability for there own safety. Of course I include a rescue plan should it become necesary, but should you make plans with people, make sure they are also of a mind as you, keep an eye on them from time to time, make sure they're prepping as they say they are etc., because you dont want to be rounding up a load of unprepared people should shtf.
Societal collapse cause unknown, the end result the same what ever causes it.

Starvation, economic collapse, riots, looting, epidemics, millions of sheeple fleeing the cities etc

I cant define the cause, but I can try to prep for the consequences.
I NEVER dismiss any possibility of an event no matter how ridiculous it may seem, some preppers dismiss the Iran U.S. confrontation some dont. I dont as if it escalates could lead to petrol being £10 a gallon. Just think what that'd do to your food prices at asda!
And also dont forget if your planting in your garden or keeping chucks etc, have a think how a lot of starving people from your neighbourhood would view your prized food when they havnt got any...Confused
Okay NR, similar to me then. You're planning for THE BIG ONE!

Mike, that is a very good answer! And the second comment is equally valid.

I take it then that most people are getting ready for something big to happen?
Even though it is only 2 people from a forum of many.

I assume people have common sense and are already prepared for the stuff like powercuts and driving accidents?
everything from The collapse of the EU (hopefullyTongue), union unrest, protests. anarchy, riots, looting, epidemics, no fuel/no food in the shops/ starvation, THE COLLAPSE OF SOCIETY AS WE KNOW IT.
Well yep I do believe so ,if you look at what could happen should Israel make a pre emptive attack on Iran targetting its nuclear facilities that could spread fallout world wide, to more rioting, civil unrest, dirty bombs the list's bloody endless.
and you put your seatbelt on in the car when you drive, thats prepping for your survival as well.
People portray preppers and survivalists as weirdo's, for some reason if not for our caveman survivalists and prepper cavemen hunting and gathering, and not waiting for somebody else to save them the human race would have died out long ago.Big Grin
no chance of that Mike, the one thing the human race is good at is........BREEDING!!
Only if theres welfare....and weed for them...Dodgy
That's a good point well made Mike.

One thing that does cause issue is that many survivalists see technology as bad. I understand that view, but I also see the good side of it. I think many people look at that and think survivalists are primitive...which we are. But we are only that way when training or learning new skills.

I work as a business development manager, I like to build eco-homes and learn about 'old fashioned' technology and putting it into modern life (e.g. rocket stoves were originally used by the Chinese to heat beds and provide general under floor heating, and put that into a geodesic dome home which need 30% less energy to produce the same temperature as a conventional 'box' home). It's a survivalist/prepper thing, but people don't seem to see that side of us.

But if prepping was too mainstream, would burglaries increase in number? The price of food and the alike is increasing massively, soon some people will not be able to afford to eat properly. They will look for food elsewhere. People would know many homes held food due to the popularity of survivalism/prepping. Would that cause more burlgalires?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6