Survival UK Forums

Full Version: I've Decided..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need to learn some form of self defence skills. Anyone got any ideas for something nice and simple but effective?
I understand your concerns and I'm sure many of us feel the same way, especially as in my case when you start to realise that you are no longer invincible and that there will always be young, fitter and stronger people challenging you at one point or another.

However, being the wrong side of 40 I'm not going to start attending self defence or martial arts classes, but the following was recommended to me as a 'dirty and very effective' form of self defence and is certainly not the type of thing that would be taught in classes, for obvious reasons.

Part of the introduction even reads:

Every method shown in this manual is practical, and.......specially selected to enable the young man of only average strength, and those past middle age, who have not led an active life, to overpower a much stronger opponent.

Bear in mind it was originally written in the 1940's as part of the war effort, hence the sexist language etc, so just look past that and there is come extremely useful information in this little book.

The techniques illustrated were basically developed to enable the average British conscript in WWII to fight for their life and survive - much like in a SHTF survival situation!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/18473...UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure others will have their opinions and recommendations, but I've found this very useful and easy to follow.

And its only £5.99
try finding a local krav maga class http://www.krav.co.uk/
Start with a simple self defence course usually suggested by the local Police or Womens refuges, Many large employers like the NHS also often have self defence classes that will give you an insight into stuff like.
1 Personal Space
2 Situational awareness
3 Threat assessment

Sometimes local sports clubs will do taster sessions for various martial arts individually, and others will offer a higher level of self defence training often created by cherry picking the best parts of various martial arts ( Judo, Ju Jitsu, Karate, Savate, Kendo, Aikido, Krav Mag etc.

From there when you identify a system that suits your own needs you can then start looking into using improvised tools for self defence from brollies, bags, belts, hair pins, walking poles, tactical pens, steel rulers, tactical flashlights.

Some shops / manufacturers run courses for using their equipment in a self defence role such as some tactical flashlight makers, depending on where you live

Leaning self defence is very wise, as someone else recently posted "when you need help in seconds the police are only minutes away"
I agree with you totally Mary, it is a very wise thing to do and NorthernRaiders comments are very valid.

I am fortunate to have been trained in various martial arts and was trained in the military for close protection etc so feel at least a little prepared but always know there is more I can learn in this area too.

Personally from my experiences I think Krav Maga (which was taught in the military) was the most beneficial and appropriate for me rather than a more sport based martial art (such as Judo, Karate etc) but it is an individual choice as it is what suits you best and any training is better than none!

Good luck with it and remember even though it is a serious reason for doing it most importantly you should enjoy doing whichever one you prefer!
Don't forget the deadly ancient martial art of Eckythump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuP1eycaA6c
Well thanks for all the info, chaps. I've ordered a copy of that book, Devonian - I'm sure OH will be fascinated; he's ex-Forces - but I'm determined to get something under my belt. I just have this creepy feeling that all is not well, and I need to be prepared as best as possible.-
Devonian, the book arrived today and it looks like a lot of laughs! Particularly the bit about seizing your opponent's testicles or biting his ear. Sounds just up my street! I just now need someone to practice on (OH did a runner shortly after briefly reading through).
(16 September 2014, 20:42)MaryN Wrote: [ -> ]Devonian, the book arrived today and it looks like a lot of laughs! Particularly the bit about seizing your opponent's testicles or biting his ear. Sounds just up my street! I just now need someone to practice on (OH did a runner shortly after briefly reading through).

Yes its not eloquent; and its not as structured as krav maga or other martial arts; buts its bloody effective and easy to implement ;-)
Developing the situational awareness and poper mindset is critical. Irecommendthe ook,, The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker, and his followup work, Fear Less. For a tutorial on combatives, Kill or Be Killed by Col. Rex Applegate.
Pages: 1 2