Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Butane Gas Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place, apologies in advance if so.
I would like to know if it is viable to store Butane gas canisters under the bath in a bathroom that also houses the boiler?

Any ideas gratefully received, thank you!

BoB Smile
i think the answer is a resounding NO! any spare gas cylinders should be stored in a garage or garden shed well away from any possible source of combustion!Angry
(5 January 2012, 21:31)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]i think the answer is a resounding NO! any spare gas cylinders should be stored in a garage or garden shed well away from any possible source of combustion!Angry

OK I hear you! The shed it is then! Thank you Smile
Definitely NO, Butane, Propane, Map Gas, Patio gas all have a higher calorific content than many high explosives.
They should all be kept away from the main residence in a well ventilated area.
keep handy, make good crowd clearing things?
I live in a dodgy old flat above a farm shop - our cooker runs of propane (I think? It's the blue bottles) I keep a spare one beside the cooker. I'll probably move it now, but I think they're pretty sturdy. Obviously sat in a fire they'd go bang, and take a large chunk of your house with it. But they're built to resist so many minutes aflame aren't they? Or a certain temperature?

I bloody hope so anyway!!
Definitely move it. An outhouse would be much safer. A fire overnight would be a disaster with a propane cylinder in the flat.
Best kept well away from everything in an open well ventilated space. All the shops that sell them have them outside in an open grilled area.
if their blue cylinders thats Calor, propane is usually red or orange cylinders. what you have to worry about more than a fire is a leaking or faulty valve on the cylinder, leaking valves can cause headaches and nausea, even death, the cylinder needs to be kept in a well ventilated place.
The larger cans are able to withstand a much higher temperature, but they are also holding more fuel. If possible, store it outside somewhere dry. You don't want a can to start rusting up and breaking down! They are kept outside because they are compressed gas. The colder outside temperature means there is less internal pressure on the walls of the cylinder.

Keep it cool, dry, and safely away.
Pages: 1 2