Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Our Emergency kits then and now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was tidying up my files last night and I came across the kit list for my Bug out Bag of around 8 years ago, It was fairly well thought out for the time YET it still required a full 100 litre Rucksack to get everything in. Today I look at my Get Home Bag and see its only a third of the size 35 litres yet it still has just about everything I need to suit my current GH needs ( excluding sleeping bag). Its amazing how our kit and plans change so much in such a short time.

1989 prime threat Global Nuclear War / IRA terrorism
1999 The EU/Labours Rampage /Foot & Mouth / MRSA/ Anthrax / Riots
2009 Islam / The EU/ Economic collapse caused by Labour and stupid bankers / Tsunamis / Wild Weather/ Hellish winter cold period
2014 Islam/ Russia/ The EU / Economic failure/ Mass immigration / Idiot tories

2007 (ish) Bug Out Bag kit and supplies for a week, clothing, food, major medical kit, loads of maps, foul weather gear, basically it was an expedition kit on steroids

2014 a low profile tactical kit containing only 24 hours food supplies, more tools, more comms gear, less maps, smaller size , less water, much smaller medical kit, far far less clothing, no sleeping bag.

Back then most of us had bugging Out as a primary action with only a few of us in a suitable position to stay [put, move forward to today and roughly the balance has reversed far more folks being driven to BUG IN and only a very competent and highly skilled group wanting to still put Bugging out first. ( that's how I see it YMMV)

"The Times They Are A Changing "
When you think about it ,a lot of preppers spend lots of time and effort setting their homes up with all sorts of gear and stuff, the desire is to stay put and bug in ,,,,,i fall into this camp.....but i am prepared to leave it all .....not at the drop of a hat , if options were running out and i am prepped for that, the trick is WHEN? very dangerous but a necessity for us all.
That's the art or trick isn't it, being advised and informed enough to not leave it to late, I don't think there is any easy answers cept perhaps better t BO early and come back than to try and BO lo late.

<That's the art or trick isn't it, being advised and informed enough to not leave it to late, I don't think there is any easy answers cept perhaps better t BO early and come back than to try and BO lo late. >

Lets try this again in English

That's the art or trick isn't it, being advised and informed enough to not leave it too late, I don't think there is any easy answers except perhaps better to Bug Out early and come back, than to try and Bug Out too late.
Very true NR but what will you find on your return.......your secret stashes of course !
Yarp Smile