Survival UK Forums

Full Version: plastic sheeting.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
got a new mattress 2 yrs ago came with a thick clear plastic cover , never one to waste anything I removed it cairefully and for the last two winters its covered my outside wood pile .
but its started to crack and split.
so how would you protect your wood pile , on the cheap/free.

thanks sunna.
make the sides ,floor,and roof from pallets leave the front, sheet the top and front, form a pitch on the roof ,,,,falling to the rear....any sheet will do the job, because wood is my main heat provider i have built drying sheds and undercover open store with roof only, i am lucky to have room to do this.

just a thought Sunna place say a old carpet over the plastic this will help with ultra violet brakedown
I just buy those cheap semi woven PVC tarp / ground sheets for about £2.99 from camping shops, it keeps my outdoor logpile dry.

PS Cheap pond liner is also SEMI UV stable, Not the butyl rubber stuff the black plastic.
Ditto what Straight Shooter said.

Old pallets for a frame of a pitched roof overhead. We find that keeping an air space between the top of the pile and the roof helps to keep things dryer.
Covering your log with plastic sheeting will trap the moisture in and promote rotting and the growth of mould.

We always used to place pallets under the logs as well to keep them off the damp floor and to further increase air flow.
Devonian .
"Covering your log with plastic sheeting will trap the moisture in and promote rotting and the growth of mould. "

I prefer to cover my log with underpants Smile

My firewood pile has spacer logs on top between the logs and the tarp so the air circulates.
(8 November 2014, 22:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer to cover my log with underpants Smile

Well I guess whichever way I read my original post, it still remains true Tongue Big Grin

(8 November 2014, 22:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]My firewood pile has spacer logs on top between the logs and the tarp so the air circulates.

Yep, the air circulation is so important to season the logs.
Yup my seasoned fire logs check out at between 9 and 14% moisture after six months which I am highly chuffed with.