Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Urban prepping FOOTWEAR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Urban prepping FOOTWEAR?

We are all more than well aware of the need for suitable footwear for survival after an event, for
bugging out with and for getting around with in the countryside after TSHTF, but consider the
implications for the URBAN prepper.

He has not got to contend with overgrown paths, nettles, brambles, mud and cow crap, The Urban
prepper has unmaintained sole (not soul) destroying concrete and tarmac surfaces to contend
with.

These hard unforgiving surfaces are likely to also be heavily debris strewn with such things
as untreated sewage from blocked or collapsed drains, broken glass both ordinary domestic window glass fragments but hard lethal toughened glass shards from shops, offices and high rise buildings,
Possibly even LIVE fallen power cables, Broken pieces of discarded metal from food tins to bits of Rebar to metal pieces blown from building facias.

He faces walking through puddles that may be more industrial waste than water, leaks of acids,
alkaline’s, mineral oils, cancer causing PCPs in solution form.

Fractured, collapsed and displaced drain and gully covers just waiting to slash the exposed ankle,

Instead of dense leaf mold he may face walking through piles of shattered sharp piles of fallen
concrete roof tiles as well as glass.

Don’t forget the power, phone, and other cables strung normally well overhead that may be now
buried in debris just waiting to rip into the foot of a foraging survivalist.

Wellies and trainers are simply not going to cut the mustard, nor do I believe the urban prepper will
be able to rely on only one type of footwear. The lightly equipped prepper on a recce or recovery
journey around his city may still have to contend with violent gangs and displaced peoples so his
parkour skills are going to be as important as his navigation and hunting skills  .

In that light role he may find his footwear needs to be lightweight flexible grippy semi sportswear like all leather or synthetic CONVERSE type ankle boots that allow for extreme athletic activity if required.

Whether the footwear be boots or shoes is for the individual to choose from, but I would suggest
whilst in the early part of a crisis when debris strewn streets have not yet become the norm that
good quality suitable SHOES will suffice comfortably , especially in the initial Bug Out / Get Home role.

But as time goes by and as debris, litter and rubble becomes the default urban road surface I think
the risk of debilitating injury to our urban preppers ankles is simply too great a risk and ankle boots
will be the best choice.

I find the younger (and more “it won’t happen to me”) types prefer lighter more relaxed footwear,
but the older guys prefer something slightly more supportive. I guess the older dudes won’t be
doing much parkour type leaping around !!!

Converse soft canvas baseball type boots are very supple, very grippy but offer low levels of protection but are great for the more athletic among us

Converse soft leather low boot, very comfy and easy to put on or take off offer similar flexability and grip but offer more protection to the upper part of the foot and ankle.

But for longer distance foraging and patrolling something with a stronger more protective upper,
greater resistance to abrasion or corrosive chemicals then perhaps something from the AirWare
Dr Martens stable may be more to your liking. The only vulnerability coming from the inevitable
puncture you will get in the sole (easily fixed with hot knife)

Myself being an itinerant old soldier like the more substantial footwear such as civilian
APPROACH shoes like supplied by Merrill and Salomon for EDC duty and initial post collapse
footwear when driving is still viable as well as walking.

Let us be clear about this WE ARE NOT SOLDIERS, we are civilians so apart from the good old
pair of Combat High boots you have been using for years (cos they are so broken in they are
nearly worn out) we in general we don’t need huge great heavy high leg combat boots. But of
course if you like Combat boots or have been wearing them for years as a soldier then stick with
what suits you.

But as our soldiers learned in Ulster in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s big heavy boots can be a
pain for patrolling for hours in URBAN areas. That is why the very advanced lightweight patrol
breathable boot became so popular.

The original and still massively popular black all leather Magnum high boot reined supreme for
years. In time leather / cordura and other materials were developed to lighten the boot, make it
cooler, more water proof, warmer for certain deployments, more protective if you stood on an IED
etc. Lightweight boots became de rigueur for pavement pounding cops, troops, medics, fire
fighters, public sector workers across the world and I think they have a lot to offer the discerning
urban prepper.

No boot or shoe will protect you if you don’t look after it as well, so plenty of cleaning, polishing
and destoning must be given to your footwear if you want the best out of it.

It is often prudent to invest in a set or two of high quality insoles for boots, many sports shops with
measure your feet and work out a proper prescription for orthopedic insoles which can make life
much sweeter when walking long distances.

Don’t forget plenty of foot care products to stop / prevent athletes foot etc, and NEVER force dry
your footwear if soaked through, always let them dry out naturally at room temperature.

Leather boots will require treatment on occasion from dubbin or similar products to keep the
leather both supple and waterproof, look after your feet it’s the only 100% guaranteed transport system you have.
good points about preps for your boots, polish, insoles,and some creams ......must admit there is lots to think on within this thread...and a lot i have not thought about, this is more like it NR.
Good points NR, for me the one most important factor for any shoe, trainer or boot is that it must be waterproof and breathable. And also do forget a decent pair of socks - merino wool always get my vote Wink

It doesn't matter if you in the city, a village or on the moors, if you have wet and cold feet, you are not going to be operating at your optimum, and in a worst case situation it can result in injuries and infections that severely restrict your mobility and even your ability to be able to feed and protect yourself.....
I'm just trying to come up with enough BS to persuade Mrs NR to let me buy a pair of Magnum Mach 2 5.0 boots only a month after lashing out on a pair of DMs Smile
I have been rockin Karrimor summit training shoe/hikers for a number of years now....incredible value at around £25 from sports direct , very tough/durable, come in half sizes which is great for me , I get about 9 month's out of a pair , tend to buy em in batches usually 4 pairs at a time....can't knock em for the price.
I love boot's and can often be found wearing them(my partner call's me the white emelda marcos)I own more boot's than anybody I know , sadly all the best ones get worn out and the not so great ones go in the cupboard , as I said in the previous post my everyday wear is mostly the Karrimor's but I have owned some great hybrid boots by adidas and meindl , these were like trainers with extra ankle support, orthopaedic insoles and all the high wear area's had reinforcement , meindl's are long out of production but the adidas are still available...I wore them to death in short order , so flexible I could climb/sprint pretty much do anything as if they were training shoes.
For many years I have only bought and used German Army Para boots. I got my last pair a few months ago and they are in my humble opinion the best out there. Full lined with fitted insole, expansion slot on the Heel and made from good grade leather, and at £84 a lot cheaper than other branded makes.
hello mate ,they let you on then Smile.
I like british army boots water proof and cheap
Yeah mate I turned the IP blocker off. Although slightly concerned that I have to display my IP to log on mmmmmm.
a good general work boot every time , the fancy pants ones are far too pricy.
if a boot is made to stand 8/10 even 12 shift of hard work in a factory or on a buildingsite , job done.

for lighter work , steel toe trainers , still cheap and tough too.
Pages: 1 2