Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Urban Salvaging after TSHTF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Urban Salvaging after TSHTF

Over on some forums and E mail groups we have often discussed returning to cities on salvage operations. It got so interesting some UK preppers went over and visited on URBAN EXPLORATION FORUMS, they shared with us loads of advice on kit, tips, safety issues etc.

Its pretty clear that a POST PA city is going to be quite dangerous after a couple of years, risks include

Toxic Waste leaking from corroded pipes and vessels
Asbestos and glass fibre insulation being exposed to the atmosphere.
Unburied dead
Feral animals
Rabies
Rats and Weils Disease
Falling masonry / tiles / slates/ guttering / antenna / power cables/ windows etc
Residents with hostile intentions
Displaced glass cladding from sky scrapers
Corroded metalwork breaking free
Eroded or undercut pavements etc collapsing into cellars, sink holes. old tube or tunnels etc
Falling tree limbs
Displaced paving
Collapsing damaged or decayed buildings etc
Exposed cables / hawsers / rebar and other trip hazards

Some of the Urbex chaps recommend ( ONLY AFTER TSHTF or you may be mistaken for criminals)

Hard Hats like rock climbers use (with chin straps)
Climbing gear and ropes for entering and exiting tower blocks and sub terr structures
Head mounted AND hand held flashlights / spare batteries
Prybars, Hatchets, Bolt Cutters etc
Marker paint aerosols
Disinfectant
Two way Radios
Charged cell phone
Coloured Cable ties
Water Proof Plastic Ziplock Bags
Comprehensive FAKs
The best and most recent maps of roads / utilities routes / tube and rail lines
Prearranged emergency RV locations
Personal water filters
Eye protection
Mouth / Nose filter protection (some also favour knee protectors as well)
Quality work gloves etc

They advise looking up and down as well as front / left and right when moving on foot in urban areas.

Not a comprehensive list of stuff but useful items none the less.
i am now starting to remember why i came here...great stuff
or as an alternative(this is what I've got) available on Ebay: M88 Swat tactical military army helmet airsoft paintball, complete with goggles for around £12.99.
so the sort of stuff you would where on a building site.

hardhat,steel boots, donkey jacket.

I would not go into a big city unless I had to , sticking to village shops. out of town complexes , small towns.
in the nearest village to me is a midlands farmer store selling everything you would need from cloths , fencing ,tools , bulk food for anmials and people, coal and logs.
(23 November 2014, 15:09)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]I would not go into a big city unless I had to , sticking to village shops. out of town complexes , small towns.
in the nearest village to me is a midlands farmer store selling everything you would need from cloths , fencing ,tools , bulk food for anmials and people, coal and logs.

Ditto!!!
RE: Urban Salvaging after TSHTF
(Today 14:09)Sunna Wrote:
I would not go into a big city unless I had to , sticking to village shops. out of town complexes , small towns.
double ditto!!!!