Survival UK Forums

Full Version: green beret
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
this is a question for are USA chaps ,thinking about getting a audible book by this guy hawkes green beret survival manual ,hes ex green beret so must no his stuff .my question is is it any good thanks?
I know two ex green berets through my previous job, they formed a company to provide mainframe computer maintenance and made millions, one retired very young, the other built himself a huge house next to his own lake and now works when he feels like it as a bounty hunter.

Brains as well as brawn, if your man is a smart as them the book will be worth buying.
Hawkes is the real deal. He had a series over here for three seasons partnering with his wife, Ruth England.

They placed themselves in some very difficult situations, and unlike other "reality survival shows", on a couple of occasions they pulled the plug due to the danger involved. Mike would very quickly place safety of his wife ahead of proving he was right, could take the punishment or prove his point.

Just keep in mind that much of the "military" type survival training is "Mission completion" oriented with a constant push for mission completion is the main feature with real survival a secondary issue. In other words, you get the job done even if it kills you, and "surviving" just means not dying before you get back to base.

Mike Hawkes is not of that ilk, but he is an American and he is very plain spoken. His connection to GB and your efforts is simply based on the fact that weather is weather, food is food and human mechanisms all operate alike. He was trained to operate anywhere in the world.

SF has survival schools in jungle, desert, artic and boreal areas and each team member must complete each of the schools. I attended the jungle and boreal schools back in the 1970s. It was good training, but I am sure they have changed the course, techniques and training several times in the intermittent 40 years. (No I was not a GB, it was mission specific training for special assignments)

US Special Forces are a different breed of soldier that have the primary function of forming resistance armies behind enemy lines. They do a great deal and never get the credit other services receive, and that is done on purpose. Often their exploits are credited to other units just to keep them out of the spotlight.

It was a single A Team of 12 men that formed the resistance army that overthrew the Taliban and ran them into the mountains back at the start of the Afgan war. General Tommy Franks, leader of joint command at the start of the Iraq/Afgan war back in 2003 stated in his memoirs that; A singe Special Forces A team fought one of the greatest classical military campaigns in the history of warfare, and their names would never be known to history.

The efforts of that A Team have gone unnoticed and nearly forgotten to this day.

At any rate, Hawkes was actually a regular army SF guy, not a reservist, and he knows his craft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man,_Woman,_Wild
cheers guys ,I will give it a look