Survival UK Forums

Full Version: IF the SHTF what would the govt provide?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here is an issue I don't recall debating before,
If TSHTF in a big way exactly what do you think the state can provide the people with to sustain them ?

I don't appear to be able to find any more food reserves than in the supply system as it stands ( eg 3 days worth for the nation)

As far as I know we do have very modest oil, coal and gas reserves enough for a few weeks, but if they stopped arriving............

Our NHS is resupplied across the board almost every day with some medicines requiring fresh stocks within a few weeks, most surgical supplies for theatres and hospital food supplies are delivered from suppliers often on the day or within a couple of days use.

Our water supplies arrive at our homes from treatment plants ready for consumption, if the power went off no running water or purification.

I cannot find much else anywhere we could expect to be sent to aid us in a crisis ? what say you?
absolutely nothing, just ask the folks on the Somerset Levels!!!in a SERIOUS SHTF we would get nothing from the govt, they have nothing to give, no stocks of food no stocks of water, you might get a few squaddies sent to help but with the troop numbers so low I wouldn't hold my breath, they are more likely to be guarding government buildings. no if SHTF your on your own, plan for that and you wont go far wrong.
That's not true. The government will provide enough to make a difference;
Restrictions on travel. Confiscations of vehicles and fuel.
Restrictions on food holdings.
Raids on resources.
General interference to keep the plebs (us) down. They see no difference between us and the scum in this country.

On the plus side they can't keep it up for long but it may be enough to negate the prepping we have done.
negative. TPTB don't have the manpower to do much if any of that, they will be too worried about covering their own backsides, we may get some interference in the BIG cities notably places like London and Birmingham but door to door confiscation of food is not doable as we have discussed before, maybe they will take over supermarkets and TRY and ration food but I cant see that working, the chav element will soon riot.
BP for you perhaps. Many don't live far enough away so that they won't at least make an attempt at control.

I'm sure we will see that in the major cities, for a short time anyway until they realise the futility and they start getting losses coupled with lack of supplies themselves.

For people in villages and small towns there will be nothing.
I did say BIG cities might see some of this. but the police and troop numbers don't stack up for this to be done on any real scale. I'm not really concerned in my area as we usually are ignored anyway unless its a "photo opportunity"! we are too far away from the Home Counties to count.

I think some MP made a remark yesterday along the lines of "if your outside London and the home counties you don't count" or something like that.

I believe the govt thinks England is London and The City and anything outside that is of no consequence-unless its an election year of course!!
SD Spot on in many cases the government could be a massive detriment to our survival, in winters past they have grabbed privately owned 4x4s and generators to lend to the police and authorities.

I know many disagree with me on this point and I do respect their viewpoint but every government from 1918 onwards when backed into a corner has often tried to seize stuff from the public such as radio receivers and privately owned guns, though I do think today that would be futile and nigh on impossible.

And of course we all know that people who put food and fuel and other stuff aside for a rainy day suddenly morph into nasty horders when it takes the politicians fancy.

Equally I think both BP and SD make a valid point that because most government offices etc are located in cities then its those cities where any available resources are likely to be directed to try and keep the peace for a while longer.

I do recall one snippet a minister let slip a long time ago about how the ideal situation would be if all the public lived in government controlled housing and only ever used public transport because they would be much easier to control in a crisis.

I think this may be what BP was referring to, a stuck up tory prick sneering at anyone not living in the SE
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-rich.html
house to house searches for supplies would be futile....I can understand them turning up to warehouses to commandeer stock's and equipment but not private dwellings unless you really do have ton's of stock and your opsec was shit.
I fear the only thing TPTB will give us in any serious event will be black uniforms, tear gas, pepper spray, kettling, "this is an illegal gathering clear the area", "papers please", and all the other implements of control a failing system enforces on its people. I look to Historical precedents as confirmation that ultimately the only thing TPTB have is violence to bend you to their will. They will do anything to preserve their power and position, including shooting you dead in the streets if they have to. Remember the Peterloo massacre, Tolpuddle martyrs, Peasants revolt?, nothing changes.
I'm not sure there is anywhere near enough equipment in existence for TPTB to respond to a major nationwide disaster...take water bowsers for instance,how many would be needed to keep 60+ million people supplied and the capabilitiy to pump them full, treat the water and deliver them to the distribution points......I think any stock's of food held will be kept to feed the army and govt minions ... only way they can remain in some sembalance of power.
Pages: 1 2 3