Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Transition Town Network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a house full of folks interested in the Transition town movement last night, it was actually very interesting.

Roughly they campaign to make towns and cities as self reliant and self sustaining as possible which clearly puts them on a similar range of objectives as us.

Oddly enough quite a few of the members talk and sound just like preppers but have never heard the word "prepper". Growing their own food, generating their own power, having independent water supplies, protecting their family and environment, preserving foods produced locally etc

They want food grown as locally as possible, power generated locally, as much of our essential needs made locally , they seek a sustainable lifestyle that is more secure, reliable, ecological etc.

I found that many of their interests and concerns very similar to our and they share similar fears and concerns about recession, the global market place, employment, environment, feeding their family, surviving climate change, fighting pollution, creating local jobs, healthy living and self determination.

You may wish to browse their site and also look up your own nearest transition town you may find like minded folk to interact with.

http://www.transitionnetwork.org/
this started in Totnes in south Devon several years ago now, there is even a book on sale telling you all about it.
for the history of transition town: http://www.transitiontowntotnes.org/about/history/
I mentioned once before that I follow several blogs of people who call themselves "greenies" and was basically derided as supporting a bunch of good for nothing ferals who just want higher taxes or something. However, the people I follow are basically the same as above...off-gridders growing their own food, working in agricultural co-ops, promoting localization etc. Again, these people would probably hate to be called preppers due to the gun addicted redneck image that is sold in the media, however their core beliefs pretty much all coincide with those of preppers.
Good and Valid point Jace you hippy Smile What I think your post only goes to show is that society in general does not like ANYONE who wants to live outside the norm, Greenies, Off Gridders, Homesteaders , Preppers, Survivalsts, Eco communities, religious communal groups etc.
My 2c

Caveat - I haven't read all the material or met any of the groups yetr so I may change my mind.

Yes it could be a bunch of green/liberal/guardianistas - used to writing long articles on "The delights of glass blowing in the Outer Hebrides for Lesbian one parent families"

NR's post #5 makes a valid point. We do have some things in common.
On the basis of "Co-belligerance" we could work together.

However - one would need to adopt the rule of 'No politics' unless there was some sub-grouping for people like NR and BP and probably me.

"The town transitional Ghenghis Khan Sqaud"
RS Yeah building a prepper eco community and calling it the Wolfs Lair prolly would not go down to well with the Yogurt knitters and Tree huggers Smile