Survival UK Forums

Full Version: PING Tartar Horde
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
TH can you come up with a basic, simple and reliable GP arrow design made TRADITIONALLY ( wood shaft, proper fletching, bullet type simple hunting point) that we can use in modest power rated COMPOUND bows?

Whilst I have TDRs and Recurves quite a few of us like the compactness and concealability of compounds and how when fitted with a Whisker biscuit can be carried " Loaded" or Nocked ( dunno the correct term.

But we keep being told we must ONLY used alloy or carbon arrows of 1820 or higher.

Can you help suggest a way we can come up with a home madeable but safe arrow?
To get the best from a compound bow you really have to shoot Alloy/carbon arrows from it. This doesn't mean you can't shoot wooden shafts, just that wooden shafts will not perform as well as modern ones from a compound. If you are going to run a compound, and take advantage of the sighting/stabilisers etc you really have to use the shafts they were designed to use, this way you will get the best from the bow. So my advice would be to stock up on shafts for your compounds. To use Wooden shafts from a compound can be dangerous due to the fast initial acceleration of the string, especially if the "spine" of the shaft is too weak for the bow. The shaft will bend to such a degree it will snap, and then this happens!
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upfiles/...3AE1E0.jpg
You would have to consult a "spine chart" to see which wooden shafts to use and then start testing to see which ones give the best performance. From my point of view it's not worth it NR just buy Alloy shafts mate, and if you need to, get one or two at a time to save cost if you have to.
I've tried to be as honest as I can NR, but there are plenty of people on web who will say you can use Wooden shafts in a Compound, and YES YOU CAN, but you have to be very selective in shaft choice and knowledgeable enough to know what you are doing or terrible consequences could occur.
Ok TH your advice has never failed me yet , the manufacturer of my Genesis pro says use 1820s and you say use the right tubes so 1820s it is.
Don't forget as long as the shafts are 1820 spine rating they will be ok and if you shop about can get reasonably priced shafts.
Ta muchly
For those silent, close up moments. It's amazing what you can do with a Bamboo Kebab skewer and a bit of paper.

http://youtu.be/6Y4NdraUOKE
I prefer a leather flying helmet and a piece of celery ! .... OH we are still talking about archery sorry Smile
The breath of death lol.
Too be honest I can't see why you couldn't use wood for a compound.The initial let off from a compound has less force on the arrow,and then the cams kick in and accelerate the arrow to full velocity,the exact opposite to a traditional bow which imparts all of its force immediately and then tales off.
For safety you could always shoot a higher spine than the bow is rated for,say a 60lb spined arrow for a 50lb compound.You also don't have to worry about the archers paradox stressing the arrow so much as all compounds are centre shot.

Like Tartar said you may lose some performance compared to Aluminium or Carbon,but I personally don't believe the hype about wood arrows and compounds.I suppose if it's a modern compound with hot cams I could be more concerned about using woodies,but an older compound around 50lb's would worry me not at all,especially in a survival scenario where I had to improvise.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my ramblings TH.Your'e the go to guy for archery here.
Either way it's the recurve for me I'm currently waiting on my Tradtech Titan ll riser to arriveRolleyes.
It's all about the Cams on a compound and like you say a modern compound with severe cam profiles would be a bit "iffy". You can use Wooden shafts but like I said you would have to do some testing regarding spine rating to get them flying right. A traditional bow imparts all its energy at once to the arrow in a linear motion, and hopefully smoothly, but that depends on limb profile etc. A compound has a steep power curve where the initial string speed might be slower but very quickly after those Cams "kick in" the string accelerates quite rapidly. It is this rapid "punch" that can stress a Wooden shaft beyond safe limits. This can happen with modern Carbon/Alloy shafts that are defective/damaged as per the image on post #2. Now if you are talking of moderately rated Compounds 50lbs draw weight and below then we have a much reduced chance of Wooden shafts failing due to shaft stress, but I wouldn't want to test it.

Talon "Either way it's the recurve for me I'm currently waiting on my Tradtech Titan ll riser to arrive"Rolleyes.

Nice riser Talon you wont go far wrong with TradTech. I've got a few one piece Recurves in 58-60 inches and they are bullet proof never let me down, but I love my Mongol & Korean bows, Bamboo arrows and Thumbring.

http://www.traditional-archery.com.au/wp...2Small.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...vRF6jYfiEg
Pages: 1 2