Survival UK Forums

Full Version: The power of a Woman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like many of you I watch a few Youtube vids by preppers, and recently have been watching a few by the well known UK contributors Funkyprepper, Mindwiseman etc. Whilst it is not my intention to rubbish or deride their chosen route of preparedness, I am going to critique it, for one simple reason "where are the Women and Children", and have they really considered them?
Looking at their videos they seem to be doing nothing more than glorified camping, with limited supplies that means they can't hope to carry on for any prolonged period. Having a "Jolly" with your mates in the Woods is one thing, but having your full family there, and relying on you is a very serious matter. Have they really considered how their Women will feel, they might not mind shitting in a hole and wiping their arses with a Dockleaf, but surely Women and Children deserve better? You want your family to thrive, not just survive.
I would like to see these guys take their full family and do it for a week exactly like their videos. That would be a far more realistic experience and excellent viewing, and no doubt informative. Another critique is that I don't see any forward planning other than Bugging out to the woods, hoping that your supplies outlast "The Event". For their families to thrive they need good shelter and food, that can't be provided with Tarps an Air Rifle and a few snares.
And this is where the power of a Woman comes in. There will come a day when she sees her kids shivering and hungry, and no matter how big and hard you are, she will give a look that will CRUSH you, and you'll come to your senses and realise they need a roof over their heads. That "look" is the most powerful tool in survival. It's the reason our ancestors would rather face a Mammoth with a spear than go back to the cave and tell the Wife that her kids won't eat tonight Big Grin
I'm not keen on the uk prepper vids, I like Armouredcockroach although his earlier videos were far superior to those of him camping with the usual suspects. It's not bugging out drills/ simulation or even bushcraft it's camping, with one really annoying bloke giving gear review after gear review.

I have to admit I have a soft spot for malc (johnjayrambo11111) he comes across as a cool bloke and focuses on outdoors skills (traps and bows mainly) no glam just getting on with it.

A couple of people have started good UK prepper channels but they seem to die off due to lack of interest, I've not seen one in a while, I find the bushcraft and gardening (veg growing) the most informative on youtube with regards to how I prep.
Yes I know where you are coming with these comments, I was I many ways introduced to prepping by these punters, but like you say limited resources 4x4s what if they get bogged in run out of fuel, get chased of burnt out of there vehicles, or chased with some one with firearms etc etc etc
getting their faces plastered all over youtube isn't good OPSEC, I bet most of the UK knows what armouredcockroach looks like!!
The bits I find most amusing in these videos is when they film themselves walking away from the camera. I always wonder why they do it? We all know it's done on a £200-300 camcorder & they're alone, so they just have to edit out the bit which shows them walking back to the camera immediately after they've walked away. I just think "what a c**k" everytime.

I can grasp the whole learning new skills. But when it becomes an excuse for camping with your mates & not bothering with the skills, what's the point.

I totally agree with you about the woman looking towards the husband in desperation. But even worse is the thought of my kids looking towards me in desperation. One of the things I said to my wife before she finally relented & let me get "a few extra bits & bobs. Just incase." was I'd let her tell the kids the reason they're starving & freezing & close to dying is because she thought I was stupid & it's her fault they're in that situation. Guilt tripping works Smile
(2 February 2015, 12:21)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]getting their faces plastered all over youtube isn't good OPSEC, I bet most of the UK knows what armouredcockroach looks like!!

Could it be time for "The Masked Prepper" a shadowy figure flitting through the countryside, gleaning food from underneath the eyes of the authorities. Nothing tastes finer than Poached Rabbit.
Seems like a good few of these guys start off well with tips etc but slowly end up converting to vlogging channels