Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a serious question for you.
What is the difference between a ‘survivalist’ and a ‘prepper’ and why has the term ‘prepper’ become so popular.

If you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism it says that, “For a time in the 1970s, the terms survivalist and retreater were used interchangeably. While the term retreater eventually fell into disuse, many who subscribed to it saw retreating as the more rational approach to conflict-avoidance and remote "invisibility". Survivalism, on the other hand, tended to take on a more media-sensationalized, combative, "shoot-it-out-with-the-looters" image.”

Under Survivalist Terminology it defines a “Prepper: A synonym for survivalist that came into common usage during the late 1990s. Used interchangeably with survivalist much as retreater was in the 1970s. Refers to one who is prepared or making preparations.”

So although for a time back in the 1970’s the terms ‘survivalist’ and ‘retreater’ were used interchangeably apparently the term ‘retreater’ fell into disuse.
Might that same happen with ‘prepper’.

My personal thoughts are that ‘prepper’ sounds funny and although it may mean I prepare it does in my mind install anything serious into the minds of others. Whereas ‘survivalist’ does show, in my mind, what you are on about, survival and surviving. Which is one step forward from just prepping.

I know I am going to open myself yet again to daft silly answers, which is partly why this forum has gone downhill. But I thought I would give it one last go.
Like many things people take over names and survivalist is commonly linked with having enough arms to take out a small country. Again it is the media working on behalf of the government that sells these images. Prepper however is usually meant to mean someone who prepares without the firepower.

Don't worry, soon preppers will be lumped into the same basket as survivalists as our society changes.
As you have said, both terms "prepper and survivalist" are largely interchangeable and mean the same thing.

Personally, I don't think we should get too hung up on whether one is right or wrong, or what the difference between them may be, and whether such terms are relevant to our interest/lifestyle, afterall we do what we do because of beliefs and concerns, and that will not change according to what anyone calls it.

At the end of the day it's just a cultural thing as language changes and develops over the years/decades, and yes in ten years time we could be looking back and thinking that yes we used to be called preppers, but now we are know as something completely different.

Other examples through history could include Automobile/Car; Gay/Gay etc

But.... having written this, one thing that does jump out at me (from the language/words) is that the term Prepping or Prepper is more about what is being done BEFORE an event; whilst the term Survivor or Survivalist infers that you are surviving AFTER an event......

So maybe we are simply prepping to become survivors????
there are many different degrees to any "prepping" activity, we have "Off Gridders", "Smallholders", "Preppers" who seem for the main part-at least here in the UK- to confine their plans to SHORT TERM events, whereas "Survivalists" are more concerned with more LONG TERM events, which given the attitude prevalent in this country makes us as rare as a "Do-Do" or a "Dinosaur"Big GrinBig Grin
(1 March 2015, 12:17)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]there are many different degrees to any "prepping" activity, we have "Off Gridders", "Smallholders", "Preppers" who seem for the main part-at least here in the UK- to confine their plans to SHORT TERM events, whereas "Survivalists" are more concerned with more LONG TERM events, which given the attitude prevalent in this country makes us as rare as a "Do-Do" or a "Dinosaur"Big GrinBig Grin

Surely "Off Gridders" and "Smallholders" are about as long term as you can get?
(1 March 2015, 12:56)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]Surely "Off Gridders" and "Smallholders" are about as long term as you can get?

unless they give it up I'd say it was more like PERMANENT.
Survivalist has a more aggressive edge than prepper to the uninformed.....I see myself as an outdoorsman who is well stockedSmile
(1 March 2015, 12:56)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]
(1 March 2015, 12:17)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]there are many different degrees to any "prepping" activity, we have "Off Gridders", "Smallholders", "Preppers" who seem for the main part-at least here in the UK- to confine their plans to SHORT TERM events, whereas "Survivalists" are more concerned with more LONG TERM events, which given the attitude prevalent in this country makes us as rare as a "Do-Do" or a "Dinosaur"Big GrinBig Grin

Surely "Off Gridders" and "Smallholders" are about as long term as you can get?

(1 March 2015, 14:57)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]unless they give it up I'd say it was more like PERMANENT.

So not necessarily as rare as a "Do-Do" or a "Dinosaur" Wink Big Grin

But I think this goes to show the wide diversity that exists within prepping and survivalism - perhaps part of the reason for the many changing names/labels that are used as per John's original post.
According to the American Prepper Network a Survivalist is someone who uses ancient and primitive SKILLS and KNOWLEDGE handed down over the generations. a prepper is someone who prepares in order TO MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT LIFESTYLE as much as possible.
The way I see things John ....we all become preppers in the first instance .....tools , food stocks, knowledge in hard copy books , survival will follow weather we like it or not .....I have read loads of threads where members practice their skills over weekends and test out this and that.....which is a good idea , its a bit of a crack an a laugh....and so it should be.....but when you really come down to the wire A TRUE SURVIVALiST will need all the help held within this site .....it will be a hard old road for all of us ....many will not make it ...without the help of others of that I am certain. Grab all the help and knowledge you can folks while you still can. I am a believer in BPs doctrine keep books ....lots of them.
Pages: 1 2