Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Oh dear what,s that brown stuff !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Checked out my food store today, about 12 boxes of OXO cubes gone soft and mushy ....and brown stains...Tins.....spaghetti , chopped tomato , some baked beans have stains ....mushy peas...tinned fruit, also gone the same way ..all tins are on timber shelving and 2 ft above the timber floor, there is plastic 1 mm sheet between the tins.....the OXO cubes were not in air tight containers .... most of the tins are Aldi,s ....the better quality stuff seemed to have faired better, all honey has crystallized ...which is fine and to be expected ...put jar in warm water and honey will be as normal. Will go through all stock in the coming days to see if there are more problems. So how often to you check your food preps ? .......by the way ALL canned fish seem fine. Finally when i started to prep , i bought big time trying to cover all the bases as fast as i could like many on here i suspect ....the lesson here is good housekeeping and maintenance...stock rotation ....if you fail on this all the effort ,time and money is wasted ....your insurance ....does not exist, at a time you need it most, What say you....what do you do, how do you manage your food preps.
Good advice SS. My stores all have long expiry dates, although the variety of foods is quite limited. I reckon I can put up with corned beef and rice if I'm hungry enough.
I make an effort to buy tinned foods that I enjoy and use that food, forcing myself to rotate the stock constantly. I like tinned veggies, keep a wide variety, and open at least one can daily.

I do not buy a lot of canned stews, hash or other bland meals. That is not part of my diet. I consider it over processed, carb rich and tasteless.

Tomatoes will dissolve a can from the inside out in less than two years, so watch out for that. I have come to prefer my own home bottled tomatoes, salsa and relish over tins anyway and consider that a primary product of my garden effort.

Buy what you eat, eat what you buy, stack it deep, replace it immediately.
steve ,cornedbeef and rice taste a lot better than bugger all mate,very true words
"Store what you eat, Eat what you store" and "Rotate, Rotate, Rotate".....should be tattooed on every prepper and survivalists forearm!!!!Big Grin
i agree BP....if it just for the wife and i ....i would have no problem...out of three daughters only one has a clue..so dad has to do it ! at least that's what dad thinks....some times i do wonder ...this is short lived when the grand kids turn up to disturb the piece.