Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Versatile.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Not having much to do with Guns but lately I have been watching this guy. He shoots a variety of things out of a Shotty at slow-mo, with surprising effect. I found it fascinating and informative. The shotgun is probably the most versatile Firearm ever invented. It has certainly opened my eyes to the range of ammunition you could use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWOwXHUFlo

Question; Could you replace the modern propellant with Black powder. And can you load your own Shotgun shells?

I'd also like to add that the myth "you can't miss" with a shotty is total bollocks!!
I am probably the Worlds worst shot with oneSmile
(15 March 2015, 11:10)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]Question; Could you replace the modern propellant with Black powder. And can you load your own Shotgun shells?

Yes and yes. Shotguns were originally black powder weapons, black powder is more suited to slow, heavy projectiles from large bore guns than it is to smaller calibres.

As you say, a shotgun is the most versatile gun, it can fire improvised ammunition made from household objects, wheel bearings, clay, snipped up lead flashing, nails - practically anything could be used in an emergency.

If you want ultimate long-term post SHTF hunting then you'll be wanting a flintlock, because primers for shotgun shells are not easily re-manufactured. Flintlock shotguns are still available new.
nice vid...only ever shot a shotgun once on a mornings clay bird shooting , great fun got quite good quite quick had a monster bruse on my shoulder for a while.

I don't own one but if the shtf it would be the 1st thing id go for.
(15 March 2015, 11:24)Steve Wrote: [ -> ]
(15 March 2015, 11:10)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]Question; Could you replace the modern propellant with Black powder. And can you load your own Shotgun shells?

Yes and yes. Shotguns were originally black powder weapons, black powder is more suited to slow, heavy projectiles from large bore guns than it is to smaller calibres.

As you say, a shotgun is the most versatile gun, it can fire improvised ammunition made from household objects, wheel bearings, clay, snipped up lead flashing, nails - practically anything could be used in an emergency.

If you want ultimate long-term post SHTF hunting then you'll be wanting a flintlock, because primers for shotgun shells are not easily re-manufactured. Flintlock shotguns are still available new.

So the primers are the Achilles heel then? I take it you need some modern machinery to make them? and chemicals to make the "priming charge"?
is the primer charge Fulminate of Mercury?
they are very loud," cheers TH" , as are all fire arms .not very stealth
LOUD BARNEY OLD BEAN LOUD!!!
that's the problem with firearms post SHTF, will give away your location, I can hear people shooting in the woods from a couple of miles away.
just got up ,worked last night ,crap night got kicked in the nuts by a pissed twat ,on a happy note hes going to need a front plate Big Grin
not all shotgun's are noisy...£350 will get you a brand new quiet one like the picture that just requires the basic shotgun licence(and subsonic cartridges to be as quiet as possible...readily available most places)
still loud, just youtubed it
Pages: 1 2 3