Survival UK Forums

Full Version: murder most fowl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Foxes are also very fast over a short distance, but they can't manage 2550 feet per second, so that fox doesn't bother me any more.

Nor can i STEVE ....won,t be visiting you any time soon LOL
But they (foxes, not Steve!) don't need to run long distances, all they need to do is get to the nearest hedge for cover and safety!

They will also never be that far from a hedge for that very reason.
repeal the hunting act? springs to mind. foxes are classed as "vermin" and I have seen some very mangy ones over the last few years.
Well I've not got a firearm, and even if I had I couldn't let rip in the garden. 50 feet is a bit short I think...

I could nail him with a crossbow, or trap the bastard, I suppose, but I'd rather not kill him really. Its entirely my own fault for not securing them sufficiently. Does anyone know if the RSPCA would come and take him away if I captured him alive? I don't care what they do when they've got him, unless its pop round the corner and set him free
If you are able to trap him, what's to stop you driving him to the next county and letting him loose, if you don't to despatch him...

What about using snares (obviously not to trap him!).
It is illegal to release vermin, but that doesn't stop animal charities from doing it. A member of a shooting forum I visit sees charity vehicles letting loose foxes caught in the city, they normally mooch around for a while looking confused before he shoots them ( that's the foxes, not the charity workers ). An urban fox is in trouble if it can't find a KFC.

I'm also of the belief that foxes that have learned to stay away from people / dogs / chickens aren't a problem, indeed they prevent other foxes from moving into the area, so in my opinion an electric fence is better, long term, than shooting foxes.
(9 April 2015, 18:47)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]If you are able to trap him, what's to stop you driving him to the next county and letting him loose, if you don't to despatch him...

I had thought of this, but I don't really want it in my car, they stink. I was going to utilise the shed to trap the bastard (it's only got an old sofa in it) but then I've got to grab him. I bought a few bob cat snares from some crazy Canadian a few years ago, could deploy those, but if he's not brown bread in the morning I've got to dispatch him. I think it's pretty cruel too if you're not doing it to obtain food. Plus the kids and missus would see. And we've got a cat. Not worth the hassle.

I'll look into the electric netting I think. And maybe another dog...
I wouldn't bother trying to trap it in anything other than a proper trap. If you did somehow trap him in the shed, it'll be far far easier said than done trying to getting hold of him, more chance he'll slip out of the door or bite/scratch you.
Better security for your chickens is what you need, BM. Foxes are only acting according to their lights, and keeping your hens secure is your job. I also read somewhere about leaving your own scent around to keep unwanted visitors away - try selecting a tree or bush and peeing on it. That might work.
Well ...as i tried to explain to the WPC ....mary.....i was NOT in fact exposing myself ...i was actually deterring the local fox population from in and around the hen enclosure ....sure she said but do you mind explaining WHY ? your trousers were around your ankles....and your tee shirt was undone ...as per cell phone pics ? ....she said ( you won,t get many of them to a pound ) i said you won,t get many in a steel bucket sweethart....i,m on next tuesday...wish me luck !
Pages: 1 2 3