Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Food caches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For most of us that,s been preparing for a few years , HAVE you checked your food caches lately ? ....how often do you check ? ...what was the state of the stock ? at the last inspection....one of my weaknesses i do not check enough, maybe i need to change track on how i pack or store...corrective action ....so what,s the best way TO...what,s your experience how are you doing ?
I store what I eat [now] after buying loads of pasta if the worst happned I would eat it along with loads of tined fish and chick peas , I keep a stock but am always restocking it as I eat what I store along with about 6 months worth of powder milk .
the pasta and tvp textured veggi protein I keep in a old larder on a small pallet its not out of date yet.
I check regularly, but with the exception of soups and pasta, I don't really rotate that much of it, instead I just keep adding to it. Not the best policy I know, but most stuff in store will be good many years after the BBE dates.
Many on here say ...store what you eat...as Sunna does , TBH i only store say 55% of what i really eat now, pretty much like DEV.....Pasta i have loads of but eat now and then ..the main reason is quantity , shelf life and its cheep , as i have posted ...i have shot myself in the foot with tinned stuff....have thrown out loads ...where the food inside eats away the can...so what,s the answer...if you stock for 6 ...12 months for all your dependants you cannot eat it all....your damned if you stock THE right amount ...and damned if you don,t
with the tinned foods I have found only certain brands and high acidity products tend to fail.....tomatoes/pineapple some fuit salads etc...maybe glass is the answer for some of these products , the can's I've had fail are the economy brands entirely , never had Heinz can fail yet and some are over 12 month's past there sell by now(tend to eat the oldest but I don't use them quite as fast as I'm accumulating them)
yea Midnite i must admit most of the cans that fail are the cheaper brands...again my thinking is quantity over quality ...more for less....does not work...false economy..a lesson for us all.
I use a constantly rotating stock, add new to the back of the shelf and use from the front, in a shtf situation I probably only have at best 3 or 4 months supply of tinned and a couple more months of dry produce. In day to day use most of the tinned stuff rotates through at about 10 to 14 months and the dry not usually longer than 24 months, that said there are a couple of things like tinned pilchards or corn beef that I have to make a point of checking and using once in a while as they are not a normal part of our regular diet.
I don't use caches, my tinned stock is sitting in the larder and is rotated and restocked on a monthly basis(funnily enough that is what we were doing this morning..our monthly big shop), we've probably got about 6 months minimum just in tins and dried stuff alone.