Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How far do you plan on going?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With prepping, some people have a BOB (Bug Out Bag) that'll take them to 3 days. Others have a BOB for a week. Others have 10 days. Some have BOB's capable of total sustained relocation. Personally I have the latter of the lot, with caches to ease the transition, but I hope never to need to use them.

Some have stores for a week. Others a month. Others a year. Others still have a few years worth of stores.

With fuel, some have a week's worth. Some a months worth. Different people store fuel for different things. Some for vehicles and others for generators, and there are people that store fuel for both. There are preppers that store fuel by the time period, e.g. 1 week's fuel for normal commuting purposes. But there are also people that store fuel as in mileage, e.g. 400 miles worth of fuel. For generators, most people store by the time period…X amount will run my generator for a month…etc.

As we all prep for different things, we all have different needs.

There are the EOTWAWKI preppers, and the smaller event preppers, and the "Whatever comes this way…" preppers. But the needs of a prepper that plans 1 month's unemployment is very different from a prepper planning for a nuclear holocaust.

Is there a point where you'll say…YEP, I'm sorted now. I have X number of months/years preps, and I'm good. Or are you constantly prepping and storing?
I have been doing this for a while.

Yu never get completely "sorted out" due to new technology, new skills that need new gear, additions to the family or group, supplies going out of date. That last one does not get enough attention in the total scope of things. No, not that rotating stock is important, but that it is needed at all.

I can point to exactly the time when I decided I was no longer a doomsday prepper.

It was the day I realized that my first run of 30 year shelf life foods were about to go out of date!

That was 15years ago, and the world is still moving right along with exactly the same problems predictions and woes it had when I bought that first cache of one year food supplies, thinking I would need them at any time and surly things could not keep going as they were! Society was falling apart, Russia had my town in its bombsight and the economy was on the verge of tanking. Finally the Beatles broke up and I knew the world was on the edge of destruction!

I just took a second cycle of food, one year supply for myself, to my daughter's home for rapid consumption by her horde of munchkins due to the "use by" dates closing in.
I guess I'll keep prepping forever, my family is growing.

For example, I currently have 3 years worth of fuel cached. It will never go out of date - coal is old already. While I can comfortably afford it why shouldn't I buy enough to see me into old age ? It's safer than money in the bank.
steve....will you be able to burn coal in ten years time , the pope is on about global warming now.

amen....Smile
With all the refugees coming into Italy, the Pope will have more to worry about than global warming. The whole global warming hoax is part of a Soviet era disinformation campaign to destroy the productivity of Western society and to reduce global population by massive chaos so they don't need to accomplish it by nuclear war. If we abandon fossil fuels and fertilizers it will bring on global economic collapse which will.reduce the workd population by a billion through famine, warfare and disease.

The cure is worse than the disease. A limited nuclear exchange in the middle east totalling 200 warheads totalling 20 megatons would initiate a nuclear autumn to eliminate global warming fears for another 50 years, reduce the world population by 100 million if the proper targets are hit, and mayne even solve the radical Isamic terrorism problem. The Russians will kick it off with a false flag bolt out of the blue against Iran, who will blame Israel and attack, Israel will respond, then Katy bar the door, all bets are off.

In the meantime China will contemplate whether it is to their advantage to exploit the distraction

Obama will play golf, as usual.
(20 June 2015, 01:33)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]steve....will you be able to burn coal in ten years time , the pope is on about global warming now.

amen....Smile

I believe the arguments for man-made global warming, however if TSHTF and gas deliveries and electricity are gone I will burn my coal, whatever the Pope says. I'm not on mains gas, too remote, I burn wood and have a good store of it but it's a lot bulkier than coal. I imagine the local trees would soon disappear in a prolonged crisis, whereas coal can easily be hidden away.
very little-if any- coal is mined these days, its cheaper to import it, when imports stop the only stocks of coal will be the stuff already imported, the amounts will be finite, once its gone its gone there will be no more, unless of course someone in say Yorkshire or Northumberland is going to go down the old mines and dig it by hand.

How far do you plan on going? is a very strange question, the desired end result is Survival nothing else will do, so the answer is " as far as it takes", anything else is playing at it.