Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Can you change a tyre?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Really simple one I thought I'd pop up.

I had a flat tyre yesterday when I got out the office. Had to jack up the car and change for a stupid space saver tyre. Not a problem. Most amazing thing, I managed to keep all the dirt off my clothes! Hands were as black as a miner's, but the suit and white shirt were untouched by muck! I amazed myself at that.

24 hours and £54 later, new tyre and car is running fine.

But I just thought I'd pop a question to the forum, can you change a tyre? More importantly, for your current car, do you have all the equipment to deal with a flat? Many of the newer cars have puncture gel and and pumps. What have you got? Is all your gear in working condition?
I think just about anyone on here would have the skills and tools to change a tyre (wheel), or at least I hope so!!

But building on what S13 has posted, how many of us are equipped to repair and plug a puncture in a tyre, after all after an event, ATS or Kwik Fit are unlikely to be open, or what if you end you driving across a bed of nails puncturing more than one tyre, your one spare wouldn't be use!

So get yourself a tyre repair kit and know how to use it.

I've carried a kit similar to this for several years in my land Rover and it's worth it's weight in gold:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TYRE-TIRE-PUNCTU...repair+kit
MOVED!!! Should be okay to post in here now.
I had a puncture last Saturday on my bike whilst I was 120 miles from home....AA came and did a temporary repair with a nifty rubber plug and glue.....would have to be the same were it the car as Vauxhall in there wisdom don't supply a spare(tis on the "options"list though! robbing fekkers) am currently scanning ebay for a used steel for my Antara....yes I can change wheels/tyre's but there is currently no need with the AA at hand only want a spare for the car as its a pain waiting sometimes(late for work etc)
Do I know how to do it? Yes.

Have I done it in the past? Many times.

Can I do so now? Yes but it would take a while.

First, loosen the wheel lugs, then take a nap.
Second, jack up the vehicle, then take a nap.
Third, pull out the spare, then take a nap.

Do you see where I am going with this?
we carry a can of tyre sealant, deflate the tyre, use the sealant bottle(instructions on can), drive home-slowly, then replace tyre. and yes we do have a spare and yes we carry all the tools to be able to replace the tyre, and have I done it? yes many times on various cars we have owned.
If we were good looking women we would not be discussing this issue!

One of the family jokes is the fact that my SIL has only changed a tire once in her life.

She was/is a gorgeous woman and all she has to do is stand by the car and look at the tire for a few moments and some man will come along and change if for her.

The FIL claimed he once pulled up in their own driveway to find a young man he had never seen before repairing the SIL tire. The young man had driven past, seen her standing looking at the tire and stopped to help, in her own driveway!

That day my FIL forced my SIL (she was 16 then) to change one of the tires just to make sure she could do it.

That was the only tire she ever changed in her life.
Yes.....many times, i carry repair gel kit , and all the gear.....pumps valves.....t jack tow ropes , jump leads ......the full toot....my father drummed that into me when i was sixteen.
Yes, of course I can change a tyre (with a bit of effort though as I drive a Landrover!), and we carry all the kit in the back of the car. I think OH has also put one of those reflation things into the kit as well, just in case. We also carry tow ropes, the relevant bits and bobs for first aid and getting stones out of horses' hooves.
Changing a tyre is different to changing a wheel. You should know both.
Pages: 1 2