Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Chip off the Old Block
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This being the second oldest unattended section I will make a post here for today.

As I have aged I have noticed how much alike my son and myself have become even though he is in his late 30s and I am well into the sixth decade.

We live 300 miles separated and do not converse on a constant basis, perhaps one e-mail per week just to keep touch.

Still, I am amazed at some of the decisions we make that parallel each other. Our styles are the same, our tastes are the same, his hobbies have followed my own as he has matured, but he is more artistic and better at many of them.

He sends me a picture of a new hat and it will be identical to what I have just purchased. It is much the same with knives and firearms, trucks and trailers.

I have effectively cloned myself, and did a magnificent job, both of us being superior examples of dashing manhood.

Sometimes I wonder how the DIL copes. I think she relies on Tequila.

Now the daughter tends to take after her Mom and is the apprentice nut job of the family!
So, in a scenario where you end up working together after SHTF, would your similarity be a benefit or a hindrance, I wonder?

I have three boys, ranging from 21 to 30. They are each like me in different ways but the eldest is most similar in mind-set and outlook. When he and I have worked on projects in the past, we've got on well as team-mates, without the leadership struggles that could come from two alike people working together. However I can't help feeling that, if we were having to work together on a daily basis, some friction could arise.

Overall, if they all came and joined us in the "lifeboat" we are slowly building up here, I think we would all make a reasonably complementary team. Not sure about one of the "other halves" though.
In a SHTF scenario I am quite certain things would go well for us. I am old enough that the division of labor would not put us into 24/7 constant contact. He would be busy doing one thing and me another due to physical abilities/limitations.

There are 300 acres on his place and a ton of work for one and all. No time for the petty stuff that most dwell on.

His wife would be an asset to any group. She is a practical thinker. One of those people that get big bonuses for putting notes in the "suggestion box" that save the companies she works for millions of $$$. Healthy, intelligent, attractive and she was already a prepper when they met 20 years ago. If one can imagine a "steam punk" Wonder-Woman that is her in a nutshell.
steam punk...wonder woman.

she look like this.....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lucy...ajaxhist=0
I don't have kids, wife has an adult daughter who is a complete sheeple!Big Grin
(24 July 2015, 23:06)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]steam punk...wonder woman.

she look like this.....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lucy...ajaxhist=0

Close, but that is Zena the warrior princess and not Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman being a heterosexual American female heroine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman