Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Vehicle tax
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just a word of warning to folks about the new vehicle road tax system. I'm sure most of you know by now that the old car tax disc was done away with last October and when you renew your car tax now you no longer receive a disc to display in the car. what you might be less aware of is that if you buy a second hand car the tax is cancelled for the vehicle at the time you sign the vehicle docs and that as the new owner you are required to immediately renew the tax or sorn the vehicle.
You can by the way check to see if a vehicle is taxed using the gov web site:
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

I recently bought myself a Mitsubishi Delica as a bov project Big Grin and have been happily driving it around after checking the above web site to check that it was still taxed. The previous owner of course has already paid the tax on the vehicle to the end of the month, I checked on the 24th of the month and it was taxed, I checked on the 26th and it now shows as being un taxed from the 16th!!! Angry the day I bought the vehicle, so technically the moment I signed the veh docs and drove home I was driving the vehicle un taxed. Huh

Oh and just to complicate things a little further because the Deli is a grey import and the doc ref no on the v5c/2 has 12 digits rather than the usual 11 the gov web site can't handle it "the computer says NO" so not able to tax or sorn the vehicle online AngryAngry

Any how just thought I'd give people a heads up, happy motoringDodgy
Yeah, it's pretty harsh. I remember hearing about this on the radio (I'm an old man at heart and listen to Radio4 sometimes) and they said about this.

The largest issue, I see, with this will be when people are to renew their tax. That's one of the reasons I've kept my tax disk in my car. I've got a continual reminder of when I need to re-tax my car. Otherwise I'd definitely forget.
I think they'll still send out the paper reminder?
Indeed they do BP.
What pee's me off more is that both the previous and new owners pay for the same months tax in the month of the sale, that's a nice little earner for the government.
It's just the government desperately looking for extra cash. having vehicles taxed by two different people for the same month is they way they do this. Bunch of thieves. Expect more of this behaviour as they desperately look for more money without having to tax people directly.
Cashed in the tax on the truck... 4 weeks ago, still no sign of my money. Had a lovely VW Golf for 3 weeks, until someone wrote it off on Friday. Silly girl squashed a motorcyclist between her wildly spinning mini and my stationary golf. Not good start to weekend. Dude on the bike was lucky I was in golf and not truck, they'd still be picking him out of the bull bars. We found him 30 foot away in the pond. Crazy shit, absolute carnage. 6 police cars and 5 ambulances. Some dude stopped and told everyone he was 1st responder and qualified paramedic, I came back to put blankets over dude on bike to keep him warm and found this "paramedic" dildo about to help the biker out of the pond! A few stern words later and they both agreed to stay put. Biker has 2 broken legs and chest damage. Moving him would not have been sensible... The "paramedic" was actually a workplace first aider. Somehow. Evidently didn't pay much attention in the class thought.

Sorry, completely off topic.

Presume I'll be waiting for months to get tax back from this car too!
SD,
Agree with you fully.
Yes an extra way of raising tax because they dare not raise direct taxes or they will be out of power.
BUT...

Does this not mean more no productive people employed to check it all, police to nick you on road, which they do not have enough to do now.
People to tick and check the ticks in all those boxes. People to enforce it.
Just makes me wonder if it will not cost government more than they get in.

Side line just re-taxed my car, yes did get a reminder in post. Did it OK on line and got receipt details by email return. Would assume you still get receipt if you pay at post office.
John
John

I think the way the system works now, is that if your car is not taxed/SORN the DVLA computer automatically sends you a fine!

Also with the number of ANPR cameras around, plod doesn't need to check your disc's anymore.
Adding purchase taxes and reducing income taxes is the Tory way. Some people think it's the fairest way, especially millionaires.
Pages: 1 2