Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Getting Home - Odd thought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Let's say that it's Monday, you're away from home, maybe in work, or at a farmer's market, or something like that. Then there's an EMP that shuts down all electrical stuff. You need to get home.

How far away are you, what gear would you have with you, and could you get home if the weather was hot/cold/windy/rainy? How long would it take for you to travel that distance by foot?

For those of us working a long distance from home, we have often said motorways and motorway bridges would be choke points. How long do you think it would be until you were not safe to pass below the bridges? How could you check if it was safe?
I won't lie too you I probably won't have the one thing I should have, decent footwear !!
(1 August 2015, 22:51)Spandex228 Wrote: [ -> ]I won't lie too you I probably won't have the one thing I should have, decent footwear !!

Spare pair in the car? If not, it might be time to get some.
I have all my kit in the car including boots but your scenario talks about maybes. I sometimes drive quite a distance although usually much less. It would take me three or four days to walk home generally. When you are trying to keep out the way then it could easily be a week or more. I don't have enough food and water in the car, or my bags to make that. I do have a water filter in my bags but food would be an issue. Have to see what was available on the route and that increases risk.

If it was a further away location I could easily see it being several weeks walk. I try and not travel to those places if there looks to be any sort of trouble.
as I often sleep in my truck I have a good lot of stuff to use plus food and water meds for general stuff a first aid kit tools knives ect.
draw back I could be 100s of miles from home , Friday I was in linconshire that place is flat and empty several fields between homes and farms getting back from their would be hard , but better than London and the south east.

how would I do it , walk , bike [sore ass] for me the hardest thing would to know where your going , you would need roads for general direction , train tracks , rivers , nr said about following power lines good idea but where do they go...?
I've decent foot wear in my car now, and I'm generally wearing some, but Scythe did remind me to get some decent footwear in my vehicle
I have a ghb in the car.....seldom wear unsuitable footwear(normaly wear boots or hiking footwear 99% of the time)ghb has 2 X .75 cl water , two packets of survival biscuits , tin of cheese , block of dark choc , small first aid kit , swiss army knife , petzl e lite emergency head torch ,filter straw, mora fixed blade , wind shirt , helly Hansen thermal long sleeve high neck top and a hooded waterproof outershell all garments are olive green.....work is 10 miles away from home(3.5 hours walking by road...5 hours tactically)

forgot the gloves and hat in the anorak pocket.

the food comes to 6000 k/cal so could be eked out to 4 or 5 days as I'm already well padded (I prefer"famine resistant") going short of food for a day or two won't be an issue.
When I think about this question, I first thing, I'd start running, to cover off as much ground as possible. I totally agree about having to move tactically, but not from the get-go.

I'd change from office wear, GHB on, and then start scooting down the motorway. For the first day, I think most people would be dazed and confused, and it would probably be pretty safe. After the first day, people would start acting up, so I think it wise to cover as much ground as possible, in as short a time as possible. I work around 40 miles from where I live, and travel would be fastest on the motorway. If I can start shifting pretty early, I could potentially be most of the way home before it starts getting dark.

With this in mind, lets say I am only half way home when it turns dark. I would then have to make the additional 20 miles in the next day, if I chose to lay low at night. However, if moving tactically from the get go, let's say I manage half the distance. I would have to travel 30 miles the next day, and so on and so forth. But if you try to pace yourself for the first day, then your 'period of danger' and distance to home, will be massively reduced.

Personally, I think it makes sense to travel as much as possible at night, because there will be fewer people around. However, only do so if you know the area. Moving around in the dark, late at night, somewhere you don't know, is a great way to fall into a ditch and get hurt.
time is of the essence as my preps are sat at home being watched not guarded by my partner who is unarmed,i have the keys to the gun cabinet
have a GHB in the car-its just a bum bag with a water bottle attached but its got lots of useful bits and pieces in it, +compass, FAC, folding saw, walking staffs, we always have water, in the car, if we are going away for the day we also have food, I always wear walking boots and have a hoodie with me, we also have a stack of maps in the car. time is something else, it depends where we are, usually about 10-20 miles away from home, so that would take about 3 -6 hours, best time to avoid others is an hour before dawn and an hour after, same at dusk, hole up during the day to avoid the heat, 11am to 3pm is referred to as "mad dogs and Englishmen" time. I avoid motorways like the plague during normal time anyway never mind after SHTF, I travel across country using minor and unclassified country roads.
Pages: 1 2