Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Fast Event or Slow Decline?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes it's hard to think about everything going on in the news.

First it was WW1, then WW2, then Vietnam, then Iran and Iraq, then Afghanistan, Syria, Liberia, Sudan, Crimea and everything else going on. MRSA, Ebola, Super Mosquitoes, immigrants, dodgy banks, bouncing cheques, the crash of 2007 and 2008, Northern Shock, city wide riots, and everything else. Big events, but none have been TEOTWAWKI. Thank goodness.

Lots of big things that could be sudden snap situations.

Now we have global warming, a slowing economic downturn as opposed to a sudden overnight collapse. The gradual increase of ISIS. A slow degeneration of society both financially, socially, mentally, and physically. These slow events seem to be the dominant threat at the moment.

But to kick a little spice, there are still the concerns of certain sudden threats. Things like solar flares, EMP attacks, total electronic shutdown from a rogue hacker, and a couple of other 'out there' threats.

The interesting thing is, as preppers, we always say that the news lies about a lot of things. But when the news reports on something bad, we're the first to double up our order of beans and bacon. Aren't we an odd lot. When the weather man predicts a bad winter, we smile because we're ready, but we still stock extra and get excited about it (excitement can be both happy and scared, and a load of other feelings at the same time). It's natural.

The thing is, with a slow decline, are we lulled into a false sense of security? Do we see ourselves are having 'plenty of time' to get ready? Is there a moment when you think "I can put this off because there is still time. Things aren't that bad yet"?

Well the truth is, we don't know what's going to happen.

Last winter was predicted as going to be the worst winter on record. It never happened.

The migrant crisis of 5000 people coming from Calais…we wouldn't notice if they all came to the country. We could all pay £1 extra in tax a year, and they could live like kings, and we wouldn't realise any difference.

Clearly things that are going on are not real news. It's just entertainment disguised as being important information.

I am starting to think that we're heading for an event, but I really am not sure whether it'll be a fast event or a slow decline.

Which are you prepping for, and how would each one effect your in your current state?

What do you think is going on?
I think you will find that many of those listed were TEOTWAWKI for millions of people.

We are already quite a way through a slow decline and the end will be a sharp decline.

I don't just prep for an errant asteroid.
the only thing I don't prep for is all out nuclear war as I don't think that is survivable, 3 decent nuclear warheads aimed properly could bracket the whole of the British mainland and leave it a wasteland.
The concept that SHTF will only be an end time scenario is very deceptive.

The comfort of safety warps our perspective. Any point where you face possible death or a negatively life altering occurrence is a SHTF situation.

London in the blitz was a definite SHTF situation with thousands dead and thousands more homeless and entire districts in ruins. The wipe out of Coventry. Refuging thousands of children to the countryside separated from their families, rationing from 1940-1056.

40-60 Million soviets dead in WW2. They lost almost as many people as GB had in their population at that time.

30,000 civilians dead on the first day of the battle of Stalingrad with the Soviets losing more dead in that one battle than the western allied losses for the entire war.

The intentional starvation of millions of the Ukrainians in the 1930s.

The genocide of the Armenians, Jews, or any other group being wiped out by a tyrannical government.

The loss of the entire male population between 15-50 in some counties of Scotland during WW1.

The passage of laws severely limiting your possession of weapons needed for defense and survival.

For who does the bell toll? It tolls for you.
a fast event would be my personal choice, get it over quickly and lets get on with our new lifestyle, but I suspect it will be more of a domino or cascade effect, one thing happens which affects something else that if turn affects another thing, so on and so forth, it could be so slow burning that most people/sheeple might not even notice it until the affects get progressively worse.