Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Potential new group member(first non family)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We have a family friend , young woman ,mid to late twenties fit healthy and active who has just qualified as an RGN , have known this woman approx. eight years , yesterday we had a discussion about the likely end of civilisation in her opinion(pandemic/drug tolerance and lack of effect) she asked would I teach her about gun's/take her shooting/hunting and would I like to borrow a book called "The Knowledge" by Lewis Dartnell .... am a few chapters into the book and it's quite interesting ... have agreed to take her to my local clayground's and see where we go from there , I'm quite keen to get a nurse on board but am troubled by the baggage she may bring , she is currently single but who knows for how long for(next spouse could be a right dickhead) her nuclear family is quite detached but would be a problem if she demanded there inclusion.......thoughts?
Well, Mo, personally I think all potential preppers should be encouraged by example if possible. If she really gets stuck in they she may well do things at her own pace and in her own way. I agree a nurse would be useful to know/have in your group, but you really are under no obligation to take her in or take her potential partner in if he is a tw*t. The only potential problem I could see would be that she would know what you were up to......
That's awesome mate.

I think it's well worth while getting her skilled up and seeing how she develops herself and her preps.

Personally I'd not let on a single bit about it. Try and lead it so she feels she's introduced you to the whole EOTWAWKI situation thing. Then she's more likely to trust in your confidence and tell you stuff. The more you know, the less she knows, the more security you have.

Let her develop, help her with outdoors skills, shooting, etc, now and again help guide her, but always let her be the driving force in her own development. If it's a phase she is going through, it could really backfire if she changes wind and goes away from prepping. You'll end up being that "crazy gun guy".

That's what I'd do. But it's awesome that you have someone with the skills. Have you asked her to help teach you about medical? Maybe she could teach your family basic medical stuff, in exchange for you teaching her gun/outdoor skills?
Yeah I'm going to be uber cautious this time as the last time I opened up to someone(best friend of 40 years and wife) it was a disaster , medical skill's are highly prized in my book.....will go slowly slowly catchy monkey...another bonus is my partner want's to come clay busting too(was that the green eyed monster at work? who cares if it gets her engaged too)
I think s13 advice is spot on ,which is odd because he is a Tory and can't be wright if you vote for that lot Big Grin
(5 August 2015, 20:54)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]I think s13 advice is spot on ,which is odd because he is a Tory and can't be wright if you vote for that lot Big Grin

Easy now commie! haha

You know I only voted Tory because I don't trust the gov and voting is not anonymous. So they can see whom you voted for. I'm just totally Greyman as can be. Even in my voting.
I would not tell an outsider anything about my beliefs or preps. The extent of my gear and supply situation is no ones business, not even the business of some family members who are more loose lipped than they should be. As little as I reveal, I sometimes feel I offer too much information on the internet.

I have also had that experience of revealing too much to long term friends and it go badly.

In turn, I am willing to teach any intelligent and sound minded person how to shoot, hunt and track, and keep them in the list of possibly useful people I know, for future reference.

Sometimes it is best to form your survival community around people that might not realize they are part of the community until they need too.
Come over to the left mate ,it's nice and fluffy over here everyones piss poor ,and we have the USSR banging on the door cause we got rid of trident Smile
Wise words MB .... I never considered the nefarious route.....it will all be in the timing come the end of the world then , to late though and some other group might get my prize and the benefits of my added instruction/training.
(6 August 2015, 02:25)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]Wise words MB .... I never considered the nefarious route.....it will all be in the timing come the end of the world then , to late though and some other group might get my prize and the benefits of my added instruction/training.

There is a point where one makes their presence known through leadership and knowledge to the point where one is recognized as a person they need to attach to in a pinch.

I once inadvertently overheard a conversation about myself between two female instructors I was working alongside. One I had worked with for several years and another a new member of the staff. The veteran was going down the list of attributes of each staff member. I will never forget what she said about me;

"He is a competent professor but it is better to know that if any disaster ever happens on this campus stick to him like glue, that old man will keep you alive!"

Word travels, both positive and negative.
Pages: 1 2