Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Practice for axe work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
WOO!!!

The wife has okayed me building my own bedroom in the garden! I'm hyped!

So I went from having a greenhouse half build (walls to be sorted), to now being allowed to build a full log cabin in the garden! SUCCESS!!!

The only issue, I plan to build it all by myself. This means get the logs, strip them, shape them, and put them in place, then repeat the process.

The bad news is that I need to take down all that I've already done. The good news is that I get to fully build what I wanted to have originally. American style log cabin, small deck and porch. All from my own efforts. The only part that will not be wood will be the base. This will be breeze blocks and cement. So I'll be clearing this winter and starting construction next year. Which will be great fun. When I start, I'll post up about the progress and get a few photo packed threads going. I'll try and cover wood selection, axe work and maintenance, as well as the elements involved in building your own log cabin. The design I am thinking of is potentially going to be very simple, but with the possibility to get complicated if I decide to go a little crazy with it.

For practice with the axe, I plan to get some sleeper logs and build up some really strong planters. I am even considering getting a large tractor tyre and a heavy sledgehammer to help build my fitness for prolonged working.

Anyone got any recommendations, resources, experience with this, or any advice?

http://freewoodworkingplan.com/index.php?cat=502
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr...gtr113.htm
http://www.logbuilding.org/downloads.html

http://www.choosing-natural-health.com/s...gcabin.pdf
What size you building S ?
I'm still working the plan for that.

I'm thinking of trying out the planters from sleepers first, then seeing how easy that'll be, and upscaling it.

The total area is a maximum of a double garage. I was planning on 2 buildings with a roof in the middle, like a connecting porch area. So one side would be for my cigars and Hennessy (only alcohol I'll drink), and the other would be more like a bedroom/man cave type thing. Each one being one third of a double garage size, and having the middle section be open porch.

But maximum would be double garage. I'm still undecided whether to go 2 smaller rooms and connecting open area. Or to go one larger building, and make smaller rooms in it, or make small dividers, or to to open plan one room with small porch out the front. If I do that, the porch area will be outside the garage-floor size base. Like an L shape.
Log selection.....consistent sizing would make life easy....if you are felling your own you need to do it October...and remove the bark ...ready for next year 8 " to 9 " log size ....when scribing your log interlocks use a saw ....then the axe......base wise go with a stilt log set up and raised floor ...this will double for your deck ....use a cross diagonal check to square up the building / floor....if you go this root ...use your birch tar for logs below ground....if you tell me the overall size including the deck i will give you ,,,,,tie sizes .....you can build your logs up off a level platform.....have a go S but enjoy it ....do not rush it .....pleasure of doing a good solid job is everything ! when it comes to the windows and doors....leave that to me ....that will be my pleasure to make them for you .....for fuck all .
Cool, thanks SS. I think I'm the far end of the country from you, and it's a long way to consider doors. I'm scared enough of a roof, let alone windows!!! haha. When the times comes, I'll definitely take you up on that offer mate.

One thing I did notice, there are a lot of words between you saying "Log" and then saying "all" five lines later, that I do not understand. But I think that will be a large part of the fun. Growing up with an accountant father, woodwork has been something I've taught myself, so most of the actual technical working is far from my vocabulary.

For the flooring, what do you think about breeze block and cement? Is it cheating? Maybe. But I've never build a log cabin before, so I'd like to give it the best chance of staying upright. I've seen videos on youtube about breeze block, rebar and cement. Seems simple enough (famous last words do you think? haha).

Initially I'm just going to buy in some sleepers to practice on and to learn to do the joints and get the skills right first. After that, I'm a little lazy, so will probably just buy in a load of logs for the main project, but I've not fully planned the building yet. There is plenty of time.

I'll post up the work with the sleepers and you can give me your critique and tell me where to improve.
You are on son !
Sweet chestnut is a great tree, often coppice grown, nice and straight and the bark peels off extremely well. It's very rot-resistant, but the high tannin content eats ordinary steel hardware so use stainless steel instead.

If you feel confidant in felling the trees yourself you can pay less than £10 per ton from a coppice owner.
sound advice......as usual Steve !
Cool. Thanks Steve.

I was looking at Red Cedar. What do you guys think?
(20 August 2015, 23:43)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Cool. Thanks Steve.

I was looking at Red Cedar. What do you guys think?

I've only used it sawn, but it's a good building wood, especially for cladding existing structures. I know of a huge workshop built from red cedar in 2004, using sawn boards with thinner battens over the join, the inside is sprayed with expanding foam. it's still solid.
Pages: 1 2