Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Adventure Challenge Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone

As most of you know I had an adventure weekend with my girlfriend. We had the best time and hope to do something like that every 6 weeks.

Our next plan is to hire a canoo of kayak and go up a river/stream for a day, then camp out for the night....wherever we are. The next day pack up get in the kayak/canoo and keep travelling up/down stream to our final point where we drop the kayak/canoo off.

Another weekend will be the Wilderness weekend thing where a lot of us will be meeting up.

Any suggestions on other 'adventure weekends'?

They can be as hugely dangerous as you want. Don't forget they are just suggestions. A few serious ones would be good as well. Lets try and cover the lower end of the financial specturm. You know, the part of the financial spectrum that says "I have car insurance coming up soon."

Thank you all in advance.
(10 January 2012, 09:54)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone

As most of you know I had an adventure weekend with my girlfriend. We had the best time and hope to do something like that every 6 weeks.

Our next plan is to hire a canoo of kayak and go up a river/stream for a day, then camp out for the night....wherever we are. The next day pack up get in the kayak/canoo and keep travelling up/down stream to our final point where we drop the kayak/canoo off.

Another weekend will be the Wilderness weekend thing where a lot of us will be meeting up.

Any suggestions on other 'adventure weekends'?

They can be as hugely dangerous as you want. Don't forget they are just suggestions. A few serious ones would be good as well. Lets try and cover the lower end of the financial specturm. You know, the part of the financial spectrum that says "I have car insurance coming up soon."

Thank you all in advance.

The canoe idea sounds good. Me & the wench looked at this, but she was preggers at the time. Now we've got a little fat man, so it's on the back burner for a wee while until it's safe to take him with us (and he can row) There are some good places on the River Wye, looks superb to be honest - and you can vary the length of trip you want to take. Some canoe hire places will pick you up after you're done, and take you back to your car. Saves you having to paddle upstream. There are a lot of pubs by the river also, always a bonus!
Be carefull with the canoe or kyak idea, dont take it the wrong way I not saying dont do it, just plan it carefully...

Can you and your missus swim well? Can you swim in clothes? Dont forget the water will be very cold this time of year, that can lead to hypothermia if you get wet..
Make sure you have a set of warm clothes saled in a water tight bag in case the canoe tips over. ya catch my drift maaaaaannnnn!!!!Tongue

In the army we used to out a heavy duty bin liner in our bergans, then your kit then sqeeze it to expel a lot of the air the duck tape it shut.
That way you can use it for river crossing as flotation device and or if it falls overboard your kits dry and it floats...
(10 January 2012, 11:14)mikebratcher69 Wrote: [ -> ]Be carefull with the canoe or kyak idea, dont take it the wrong way I not saying dont do it, just plan it carefully...

Can you and your missus swim well? Can you swim in clothes? Dont forget the water will be very cold this time of year, that can lead to hypothermia if you get wet..
Make sure you have a set of warm clothes saled in a water tight bag in case the canoe tips over. ya catch my drift maaaaaannnnn!!!!Tongue

In the army we used to out a heavy duty bin liner in our bergans, then your kit then sqeeze it to expel a lot of the air the duck tape it shut.
That way you can use it for river crossing as flotation device and or if it falls overboard your kits dry and it floats...

One of the places I looked at gave you a 55 gallon plastic drum (with lid) to keep your gear in, then like you say; if you do go over the side you've got a floatation device. not sure I'd fancy it this time of year though - I pictured a picturesque float down the river, stopping at every pub for a pint in the sun. Not so much fun when it's p'ssing down an cold.

It would be in 6 weeks time, so towards the end of Feb. We may pospone it a little, weather dependent.

It's cool Mike, my girlfriend used to be on the swim team, and I used to be a life guard. I feel more comfortable underwater than on top, so if it does capsize, I won't panic. Have been canoeing before (even though I can't spell it right). So we should be fine.

We would go for a few classes in a swimming pool to learn basic manovers like eskimo rolls and that kind of thing.
I'm not sure you are looking at this from a survival viewpoint. We are trying things like seeing how long a litre of water lasts and validating our preps. Learning what we may need.

I say this because a canoe trip is a good idea for a fun trip but do you really want your first to be in the deep of winter?

What I would be looking at was going on a bushcraft course with one of these wilderness survival experts. You go out with a spork and a lighter, you build your own shelter, catch your own food and cook it yourself.

Unless you actually intend to bug out on a canoe that would be a much better learning experience for you.
(10 January 2012, 18:04)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]What I would be looking at was going on a bushcraft course with one of these wilderness survival experts. You go out with a spork and a lighter, you build your own shelter, catch your own food and cook it yourself.

One of the best places to do that is with Ludlow SG, they have many very competant instructors.
That is a good point well made Mr Dhude.

Wilderness survival courses cost like £200 per person for a weekend though. I'm going shoe string until Summer.

Maybe another trip to the woods. OOOOW How about a poncho camp out? Make a tent from a poncho and spend the night in it! I like that idea a lot!!!
Scythe 13, Do it! I've done it many times as a Young man. Not so good for me now. I need more comfort these days. Arthritis kicks in occassionaly. It is my greatest worry if a survival situation arises. Old age is a curse. However, can still walk six miles. Kenneth Eames.