Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Purpose designed GHB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Purpose designed GHB
Having a conversion on an E mail group with a member who thinks he MAY (may being the operative word) be able to get a purposed designed GHB small back pack made with preppers in mind. I’m sceptical but open minded.
Initial thoughts about its design include COMPARTMENTS like found in many Military packs but focused on the sort of gear Preppers not Soldiers are likely to carry.
Eg a radio pouch designed for Baofeng Uv5 sort of sized radios with second compartment for spare batteries and a long slot for storing longer 771 type antenna.
Some folks suggest straps for / fixings outside for a small REMOVABLE power money type solar panel to be mounted.( to recharge radio batts, cellphone etc) Possibly FOIL lined to act as faraday cage to protect hard drive / flash drives etc
A Thinsulate lined compartment to keep boil in bag type MREs in so they stay cool and if they leak the grub does not soak into the rest of the bag.
A thick nylon lined (Cordura?) pouch for bulky sharp tools like mini pry bars etc?
And easy access angled pouch slot on outside for stuff like telescopic baton or pistol or fighting knife
A general purpose section with enough space to keep ONE change of clothes and a lightweight fleece or softshell with a divider to keep a pair of hiking / walking shoes in.
Couple of other sections for water bottle or bladder, FAK, telescopic walking pole etc, flashlight pouch.
I sort of thought that many military bags and packs may already do this, but thought the issue worth exploring that bit further esp as the issue of gray Man rose and people thought the multi pocket design of MilSpec bags but in drab or normal CIVVIE type colours may be more practical for preppers.
I don’t know much about this sort of stuff so I thought I would put it out on a few forums to see what the more knowledgable thought? Any ideas?
NR
While the military gear is affordable and for the most part well designed, I prefer not to look like a "mall ninja" and wear civilian agricultural work clothing and carry my gear in my old search & rescue pack. Mine is a Coaxsher SR1 Recon SAR pack. It is a bit pricey, but well suited for my purpose and planning standard being a 10kg load for 7 days duration. With modern lightweight gear and freeze dried food this can be done. Because of the nature of search and rescue work, SAR equipment has to be sturdy and dependable. The SR-1 Recon pack is made with DuPont® 1000 Denier Cordura®, ITW Nexus® buckles and hardware, YKK® zipper pulls and tape, and reinforced stress points.

Total Weight 1.7 kg.
Volume: 18.03 liters
Modular Pack System for Multiple Set-Up Options
Aluminum Stay Frame Structuring for Custom Fit
New Patent Pending D.A.S. Dual Action Stabilizer
Inside Mesh Storage Pocket
Daisy Chain with Built In Ladderloc Provides the Ability to Attach Belt-Loop Accessories
Quick-Release ITW Nexus Buckles on All Connection Points for Maximum Speed when Converting Pack
Adjustable Hip Belt/Torso to Fit Multiple Sizes
Ergonomically Designed Harness System
Webbing Reinforced Stress Points
102 oz. Water Reservoir Pocket w/ Dual Hose Ports
Removable 700 cubic inch Main Pack
Removable 400 cubic inch Medical Kit Case
Includes the Dual Flagging Tape Dispenser
Know what you mean about Cordura Charles, I've been using an Uncle Mikes Cordura attache case since 1994 its one tough bag.
I have a Cordura satchel, originally made for electronic equipment, with a simple Velcro flap top. It has a wide adjustable strap, and sits nicely just behind my hip. I recommend this type of bag, it can be accessed or taken off very quickly at any time, so if you wanted to carry something defensive or valuable that you might need to either deploy or hide in a hurry this is great.

It doesn't replace a backpack, but is a useful addition.
I looked into getting my own bag made, went to the people who made the Leaf Cutter for Ray Mears. They'll make you pretty much whatever you want if you can buy X amount of units. Whilst I had a design I wanted sorted out, it wasn't far enough removed from a military type backpack to warrant the money. Far easier to get a base bag that you're happy with and build up from there.

I'd certainly be interested in any prototype pics that may come about NR, my bag fetish is still going strong. And you can never really have enough packs, can you? At present I've reverted to using my Hazard4 PlanB with some extra pouches tactied onto it.