Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Plastic Rice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know the first article is quite old, but has anyone come across this or has any advice for avoiding it, although it says it's very difficult to tell when uncooked. Maybe best to buy from the big supermarkets, although no absolute guarantees there either?

http://www.ibtimes.com/china-makes-fake-...ort-263027

http://wereblog.com/fake-rice-from-china
I only buy American or Indian white long grain in bulk tubs
Yuk, 3rd World slop...

Won't eat rice now, certainly won't be on my fine dining menu for the apocalypse.

May stoop to pasta in an emergency, but it's got to be pretty damn serious. Rest of the family love rice and pasta, so have probably half a metric tonne in storage.
Yea, trouble is some of the smaller independent retailers have a habit of repackaging the goods so it looks like it comes from a different source/country, whereas the big chains maybe too wary of doing this in case they got found out and were exposed in the media?
If you shop about you can find Californian long grain white rice in clear plastic tubs with a heat sealed foil cap under the screw of lid and some of em have a sort of federal seal, not sure which agency, but I'm guessing US rice has a pretty decent QC history.
Thanks for that, I shall have a look out for it.
be very careful LAC where you buy packaged food, if you know that a certain shopkeeper repackages some of his stock, I think that would be a good place to avoid.
(living where I do, I don't have access to some of the cash and carry's that some here use, so I have to buy tinned and dried goods from the normal supermarkets, but even then I can sometimes buy these when its on offer or reduced, on the other hand I can get a better deal-living where I do-on fresh meat and other farm produce, so its swings and roundabouts.)
Thanks BP. Yes I have started to avoid those shops for things like rice, a friend I know who had some dealings in the business opened my eyes to it the other day, apparently it's common in the smaller cash and carrys Confused
its best to shop around anyway, don't buy everything in the same place, so if one batch is tainted it dosent affect all your stores, anyway that the theory.