Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Prepping Topics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
O.K., there seems to be a bit of concern about the lack of proper prepping (ooh alliteration!) topics on the Forum, so I would like to ask what members consider to be proper prepping topics. I can see the point of much of the stuff posted here - after all if you become unemployed or redundant, then anything to do with money is going to be very relevant. Politics too - the outcomes can affect everyone. But, what topics do people really want to see??

I could bore everyone to death with a treatise on breaking horses in and then on to harness; pruning fruit trees in the orchard? How about care of chickens?

I think it is a case of one man's important topic is someone else's yawn-maker, and it is going to depend entirely on your own circumstances. Also, much of the information has been covered in previous topics and it only takes a quick trawl through to find those previous topics.

I don't even think it is so much people are drying up with posts, just that much information has been covered,just and it is nice to read current items without feeling the need to add to them.

What do you think??
I think Mary, that those that are still left on this site, have been here long enough now to know the basics, if they don't they haven't been listening, pay attention at the back there!Smile
any newbies(?) can either go to the relevant pages on this forum or start on the main page where there is an article on how to start.
ranting and raving about the government, politicians, benefits might get it off one's chest but it dosent accomplish anything and is in fact counter productive.
we need to concentrate on what we CAN control, as preppers, not what we cant.
I think that the more effort a small core of committed people put into creating interesting articles and topics the less others bother to make an effort and the harder you try to make things more varied and interesting the more flack you get in return.

Its difficult for people to be finding and writing fresh stuff pertaining to prepping, survivalism, bush-craft, off-gridding indeed someone else I chat with noted on another forum they use regularly the subjects tend to be repeated sometimes as often as every month , going over the same old same old time after time she finds it soul destroying.

I like in depth stuff such as building projects as produced by say SS and Light Speed, Major prepping projects like Invisible used to post, preppers reporting back on CHANGES they have made due to lessons learned about kit, travel, vehicle, changing social issues.
Articles on how folks ADAPT both their lifestyles and or materials to better suit their needs. Actual experiences of prepping affecting lifestyles, I read something ( cant remember what) that Geordie Rob wrote ages ago about living in a city, and what ever it was made me comment to my missus " I would NEVER of thought of that in a million years" and that comment from Rob was gained from living as an urban prepper then sharing it with us.

Mary brought up the subject of using gee gee's after TSHTF for transport, agriculture etc in a PM I think such stuff is vital horsey stuff, saddlery, feeding the critters, putting them to use, keeping the chavs and French from killing and eating them etc.

!!!!!! just thought as I write I cannot recollect reading an indepth review and experience of URBAN HOMESTEADING???

I don't like to see us going over the very same absolute basics time after time when there is already so much well sorted archive material for newbies to check out.
if we cant do that, even UKP seems to have accomplished that for all their faults, maybe its time to call it a day, like DIFO did.
Come on then, NR, let's have a discussion on urban homesteading..... isn't that a bit of an oxymoron though? Could be a useful and interesting topic, particularly for those folk who want to get out to the sticks but can't do it yet.
Well actually after some of the old crew rightly put me down a while back for not looking for anything positive about urban prepping I ended up reading that website about back yard gardening. and by pure good luck I worked out why I was so bad at growing Veg, so after looking into Urban gardening I ended up September gone with by best ever crop of Carrots and Onions, something that would not have happened if Geordie Rob had not pulled me up.

http://www.backyardgardening.org/

http://eartheasy.com/grow_backyard_veget...arden.html

http://farmerfredrant.blogspot.co.uk/201...kyard.html

I've seen urban stuff on keeping mini breed pigs and goats in very small spaces quite healthily, and was getting interested in that very small breed of cattle that some preppers keep (Dexters). Some folks keep Guinnie fowl for food, and in the media even city centre dwellers now keep chickens so potential for further development is definitely there for urban preppers, especially if they also get into guerrilla gardening.
I'm glad our different opinions had a positive outcome NR. I can remember you mentioning having no luck when it came to growing veg. Not so chuffed at being thought of as the "old crew" mind Wink
I'm always willing to listen to other opinions and views, that is how I became a prepper in the first place back in 79 Smile
its time to change outlook I think for too long these sites were full of doom and gloom , teotwawki , after a few years of taking this in I just got fed up with it [am I alone] .
for the last 65 mill years this planet has been stable and safe letting us come down from the trees and fly to the moon , during that time theirs been wars , nukes , aids , ebola , and the human race has come through just fine.
so for me prepping for real things .
floods
crime
race war
strikes
economic meltdown
job loss
loads of others.
im not saying their could not be a solar flair that knocks out all the power but the chances are slim .
even when real big things come along like the black death [for one] many died but we pulled through.
so when theirs another post on best big knife / tent / water filter ect comes in something we have been over and over again it puts folk off.

diffo had it right , but failed because the truth [growing stuff / mending stuff / storing what you have grown ] was not what the bug out big knife boys wanted......Smile