Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Has Prepping changed you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can honestly say that since I have become more aware of the potential perils and problems ahead that I have started to view things in a different way.

Now when I go shopping (weekly - save petrol), my antennae are in permanent twitch mode for possible deals, bargains or useful objects. I now trundle round shops that previously I would not have bothered to even glance at. I don't feel I can afford to be snobby in where I shop and even OH is becoming quite understanding about my regular perambulations. Farm shops and house sales have been carefully scrutinised for possible deals or bargains - I reckon I now have a note on every chicken breeder in this area and their prices.

I can't look at fallen trees now without calculating how much firewood they would make. Even this year when we lost one of our big willows (lovely old thing), I could only walk round the branches wondering where we could store it all.

I'm still gleefully anticipating investigating the cistern under our house when we can get some way into it.

I'm starting to bore myself, but I can't help it! I'm driven by the urge to feed, house and make sure my family is well set up and protected. I shall be almost (but not quite|) disappointed if nothing happens!!
You got it in one Mary Smile

I would add that I now actively seek ways of not having to rely on the state or local authorities as much as I can, and I NEVER believe they are acting with my best interests at heart. I don't look at cars any more and think how fast or stylish they look but can they carry a bale of hay or go cross country, my dream communities are those that have the least facilities so only the most self reliant types want to live there. We try to bulk buy at Macro twice a year for essentials such as bum wipes, bog roll, kitchen paper towels, bleach, detergents, soaps, deodorants, toothpastes, tooth brushes, washing up liquid, fabric conditioner, star drops, tea tree soap etc if they are on offer. Its heartbreaking watching council workers chopping fall tree limbs into mulch instead of giving it to wood stove owners.

I just wish I had other preppers to do stuff like share bulk buys, share firewood, share preserves and pickles etc but there is just my family to work with and that's not quite enough.
We have always prepped, just we didn't put a label on it.

Now the label is applied, yes, we are doing things differently.

More bulk buying.

Less hesitation in purchasing relatively expensive items that get identified as being strategic weaknesses.

Moving away from luxury/ status type vehicles towards utilitarian machines

Thinking not just of back-up systems, but multi-layered back-up systems, especially so in areas of water supply, light, heat and cooking.

More growing of our own produce, and special arrangements for livestock as and when necessary.

Defence and weaponry, was originally felt to be macho nonsense. but the more we consider what is happening the higher priority this becomes.

Communications: Obviously already well covered. Now focus is on third level ultra simple, ultra rugged, ultra low powered devices that will remain operational in the long term.

Not throwing anything away that might at some time in the future have uses. This applies especially to steel items...we have accumulated quite a scrap-yard now.
a bit , i.ve always been shrewd/resourceful and prepared just more so now...love a bargain love to haggle and always have more than I need of stuff....just a yorkshireman I guess
I was a Cub Scout, then an Air Scout, my earliest and fondest holiday memories are of camping. My Dad is the youngest of a large working class family, things were hard. I was born a prepper.