Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Hardware Costs for UV3R and UV5R
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking at procuring a couple more of these radios and as I already have UV3Rs and UV5Rs I want more of these rather than something new.

I've looked on eBay and discovered that the UV5Rs are cheaper than the older UV3Rs which makes me curious. Is that because UV3Rs are better or just because it is obsolete and harder to source.

I understood that the UV5Rs are the better model and now that they have been out there for some time we should have evidence.

Any views?
The 5s are more powerful and cover more stuff, they are still current and sales are booming, its advisable I'm told to buy them from that UK dealer in the West Mids who ensure they work properly and can be programmed from that free online program CHIRP, FYI there's an 8 watt version out but LS says its just a battery killer so any spare funds are better off spent on a 771 antenna. I used mine as defacto PMR radios rather than ham devices that way I can stay away from the licenced bands and big brother.

I have heard of folks getting them from Hong Kong via E bay and having dreadful problems programming them.

Feast upon these
https://www.sinotel.co.uk/index.php?main...qd6otnbne3

Hmmm it appears the UV5R family has now been upgraded and replaced by the 580T

"The B-580T is effectively a GT-3 in a different (and to our eyes more attractive) housing. Both radios are a refinement of the ubiquitous UV-5R, the essential differences being the use of the latest versions of the RDA1846S RF IC, RDA5802N RF Receiver Chip and UTC TDA2822L Power Amplifier IC. Baofeng claim improvements in receive selectivity and crossover distortion as a result.

Like the UV-5R, the B-580T boasts an alphanumeric display (now reverse LED), numeric keyboard, drop-in charger and switchable voice prompt.

The radio is CE- and FCC-approved and ROHS compliant.

Our radios are supplied with all the UK 2m & 70cm repeater frequencies & offsets pre-programmed into the memory along with the eight European PMR 446 frequencies (for monitoring purposes only as the radio is not approved for transmission in the PMR 446 band). "

Isnt technology wonderful, pity I don't understand it, I recent gave away three of my six UV5s as surplus to requirements, my little group shrank a bit and the radios no longer needed.
Bloody hell lads they are quite resonably priced!!! what sort of range are you getting with these, I would be very interested to know?
Line if sight using my UV 5s and a 771 ant tuned to the PMR frequencies I get 9.5 miles up here, about 3 to 5 indirect depending on weather and topography, not used the ham frequencies you would need to ask others about 2m and 70 cm but if your licenced and use repeaters I guess the world is your oyster.
(17 November 2015, 12:47)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Line if sight using my UV 5s and a 771 ant tuned to the PMR frequencies I get 9.5 miles up here, about 3 to 5 indirect depending on weather and topography.

Are the PMR frequencies public/legal frequencies for anyone to use?
YES if you have a legal PMR radio IE .5 watt and a fixed antenna,Smile Smile

Baofeng UV5R Frequency list PMR 446
Loc Frequency Name Tone
mode
Tone Tone sql Dtcs
code
Dtcs rx
code
Dtcs
pol
Cross mode Duplex Offset Mode PWR Skip
0 1666.665250 (none) Tone tone (off) 0.000000 FM Low
1 446.00625 P1 (none) 88.5 88.5 23 23 NN (None) FM High
2 446.01875 P2
3 446.03125 P3
4 446.04375 P4
5 446.05625 P5
6 446.06875 P6
7 446.08125 P7
8 446.09375 P8 Calling
9 446.10625 P9
10 446.11875 P0
11 446.13125 H1
12 446.14375 H2
13 446.15625 H3
14 446.16875 H4
15 446.18125 H5
16 446.19375 H6
17 446.20625 H7
18 446.21875 H8
19 446.23125 H9
20 446.24375 H0
12.5KHZ steps

Your not supposed to have the ability to put a better antenna on a UK spec PMR radio and its supposed to be locked at .5 watt power, The UV5 can be set and locked at .5 watt and of course no one would change that capability.

(Hah tell that to some of the quarry truck drivers up here who don't know the meaning of low powered radios!!)
OK, thanks, I didn't realise that.

I always though these UV5 thingy's needed a ham radio licence.
They DO if you want to USE them to broadcast on HAM frequencies, You don't need a licence to LISTEN to Ham broadcasts , or the built in FM receiver 88-108 etc and TECHNICALLY they are illegal to USE on the 400MHZ PMR channels because you can change the antenna and dial up the power output. ( though I believe the hobbyists and experts are trying to persuade HMG to allow a bit more leaway with the use of such radios). I don't think I do anything with mine apart from check they still work, I had 6 and gave 3 away not so long back as my groups needs contracted. Mine wont get used until TSHTF, I'm currently considering the new PRESIDENT series CBs which are awesome, 27 AM, 27 FM, USB, CEPT / UK, Rus, Po etc 4 watt and either 12 or 20 watt for USB

No licences needed for the CB

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mobile-cbs/...nt-ii.html

Lightspeed discussed and edumukated me into the importance of not infringing on licenced ham frequency users with licence and training, his logic was sound so I would not use or recommend anyone use Ham gear without licence or training in respect of his and the hams communities wishes.

However I considered the PMR bands to be fair game especially AFTER TSHTF to use the UK legal PMR 446 channels with a better antenna in a survival situation. Prior to TSHTF I'll stick with CB and cellphones.

not infringing on licenced ham freqs with OUT licence and training that should read.

Crap, I'm always playing catchup with the comms stuff
according to Wikipedia on PMR 446
"Radios may now have removable antennas as long as the ERP does not exceed 500 mW.[3]"
Yes, I'm already set up CB wise and that's easy to use and understand and it even gets regular use!

But these hand held radio's are a mystery and I'm never sure what the legalities are, but like you I'd only ever use (need) them after TSHTF, and even them I'm sceptical as to how useful they would be for 'me'..... but who knows!
Well if you need COMPACT but very effective short to intermediate range good quality coms that can be greatly enhanced with better antenna, extension mike / speaker that can be easily adapted to us AA batteries or fitted with 3000ma batteries etc for interfamily comms after TSHTF the UVs are superb as well as being cheap, THEN if you do decide to get a ham licence you already have a very capable set in the UV5.

I got mine at about £30 each compared with the less capable because of its fixed ant Mt50-50 which costs about £80 each or the hand held CBs that are equally far more expensive and bloody huge.

I'll add that PMR 446 is pretty darn quiet up this region which means more air space for me Smile compared to the chattery ham bands and troll infested cb bands.
Pages: 1 2