Survival UK Forums

Full Version: BT Broadband / E mail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apparently BT has suffered a major tech problem in East Anglia and stretching as far as London, many people have been cut off since Sunday night and BT are struggling to fix it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...itain.html
Have been having some 'patchy' service of late in Norfolk. It would seem that upgrading the system to fibre optic causes a few problems. Sadly it would appear that we will not get fibre optic right to the house because we have an overhead feed. We would only get this if we were to stump up for the installation of underground equipment. At least that is what I understood from a recent conversation with a BT 'engineer' who did not seem in the least bit interested in anything other than his on board computer in his van.
Having said that it works most of the time and sometimes it is spectacular - but most of the time reliably 'slow'.
Have not had a 'major problem' recently although we did experience a broadband failure a couple of months ago for a few hours - but it came back with no explanations which could be seen as bad PR.
Iaaems its not all bad mate, a big chunk of this village has overhead phone lines and after the village got upgraded they still got speeded up from 3 to 4 m to between 17 to 20 m still a good improvement, not as fast as those with buried cables I admit but much better than it was before.
Yes it is better than a few years ago I have to agree. We have a few new Green Cabinets dotted around the area and BT seem to spend rather a lot of time working with them and clogging the roads up with traffic lights and lots of vans and bits of kit. After the temporary chaos things improve for a while and we all get used to the improvement - and then it seems to slow down just a bit. Irritating - but it happens.
Maybe this is the proof of progress being two steps forward and one step back?