Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Food for Thought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've had a bit of a rethink on my attitude to food in the last week or so. I will admit to watching a bit of TV, and those adverts for Lidl and Aldi showing money-saving shops called to me. I don't really have supermarket loyalty. I loathe shopping anyway and just want to get in there, get what I need and get out...quickly. Buty, I thought I would a reverse of my normal shop and go to Lidl first and then on to my normal supermarket. Well, I was quite surprised to receive a MUCH lower bill for my shopping in Lidl, and even with a top up of particular items in the normal supermarket the total was nearly £30 less than normal. This is just too much to ignore. I should point out that my shopping included a bulk buy of dogfood and cleaning products so was a bit higher than normal, but even so, I can't afford to just throw money away on "loyalty" shopping.

Sailing along on the subject of saving money, I have been trying to cut waste of food at home to an absolute minimum - well, zero actually. It has been surprisingly easy. When you have chickens to eat any food scraps, a large and hungry compost heap, and a determination to keep pounds in your pocket, you get on with it. I figure this is also a useful lesson in living well within what I might have to if things go wrong and supplies get a bit short.

It is quite interesting to open the fridge door, peer in at the contents and try to work out what to do with bits and pieces. You can get quite imaginative with not a lot. Everyone out there like bread and butter pudding? A great way to use up stale bread if you don't want to feed it to chickens, but have you tried making a cheese bread and butter pudding? It's really nice - cut out the sugar and fruit from the original recipe, smear a wee bit of mustard on the buttered bread and layer everything with grated cheese before pouring the egg & milk mix on. Bake in usual way until brown and crispy. I'm quite getting into this make do and mend attitude in the kitchen, and I am sure it will stand me in good stead.

Happy cooking, Folks.
And you can eat a great balanced diet Mary, and good wholesome food .....i ..no we hate waste...shopping at ALDI's (have done for years )...some people seem to think this is where all the poor souls shop....more like where the smart people shop...or shopping without the bull shit.....take a look in all the other so called top super markets ......they all have one thing in common....lack of customers ...food inflation i call it....wages are not raising but costs are increasing...but for all of it cooking meals from scratch is what happens daily i our household , and always has ....most people would not have a clue how to even begin cooking a meal from scratch....good food is easy...even i can do it. Just removed my Bread from the oven....try this Mary ....youtube.....jenny can cook...no knead bread......just pressed my finger on the side of the loaf .....crackle ....have to go now cutting a slice now along with a huge knob of butter ...lost control....
Good thread Mary. Its true, supermarket brand loyalty is the same as insurance company loyalty....the loyalty only rewards the seller, not the buyer.

We shop at Lidl too. Pretty god German quality at reasonable prices.

The main cut out waste meal here is fried rice. All the leftover meat scraps, and left over vegetables go in. No two stir-fries are the same, and some are better than others depending what left-overs go in.