Survival UK Forums

Full Version: CB vs Dual-Band Hand held (UV5r)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
My worry with my coms now is being able to keep the units powered up in shtf scenario , I currently have very little power generating capability and keeping three units available at all times will probably be to much of a stretch with my current capabilities , going to really struggle in the winter when solar is much less efficient/available
Mo I bought a multi voltage transformer with assorted adaptors it goes from 3VDC to 13.5VDC and it plus into the mains via 3 pin plug , So I can recharge devices either from mains, from a genny or from wind or solar set up, mid winter if no other option I would use one of those tiny little hand cranked gennies of one of the heat powered doofahs, Where there is a will there is a way mate Smile. EG a guy on another UK forum recharges his little FM radio from a genny on his bicycle his half hour cycle commute charges up his little radio.
(11 March 2016, 12:16)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]My worry with my coms now is being able to keep the units powered up in shtf scenario , I currently have very little power generating capability and keeping three units available at all times will probably be to much of a stretch with my current capabilities , going to really struggle in the winter when solar is much less efficient/available

Hi Midnight:
2 years ago I did a twelve month test and was able to keep a Yaesu VX3r live 24/7/365 with just a 13w solar briefcase and scavenged small car battery. The briefcase came with a charge controller that output a stabilised 6v which the Yaesu accepts as a direct feed power supply. The briefcase came from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/13w-solar-briefcase-n00cx

A 100w cell will be outputting around 10w in mid-winter, and assuming say 5 hours of viable daylight, this will give you around 50watt-hours per day. That ought to be enough to keep all of your radios happy
My current set up is a little more substantial than 13w,only a little though , 40w biard flexi panel and 110 amp/hr leisure battery through a 150w inverter , I'm guessing this will just about keep three transceivers topped off then?(current set up is in use as power for horse lekky fencing - the inverter that's just in storage.
(11 March 2016, 17:33)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]My current set up is a little more substantial than 13w,only a little though , 40w biard flexi panel and 110 amp/hr leisure battery through a 150w inverter , I'm guessing this will just about keep three transceivers topped off then?(current set up is in use as power for horse lekky fencing - the inverter that's just in storage.

Should be able to meet your needs Midnitemo.... just don't go buying more and more radios each month!
Some current comparative costs (March 2016)

Basing costing on a communications group of 4 radios that need to be able to stay in touch with each other and also reach out to the wider world.

A mixed UV5r and BF888 network would cost £53.00

A standard PMR446 network would cost £ 50 excluding batteries which would take it to over £60 and those batteries would need to be replaced regularly

A network of lowest cost walkie talkie CB radios would cost a whopping £440

Performance: the UV5r/BF888 and CBs would have pretty much similar range, with PMR446s being worse.

Battery life: I’d guess would be best on the BF888/UV5r and worst on the CBs

Ability to operate on non-standard frequencies (affording a slight degree of privacy) is only available on the UV5r/BF888 solution

Ability to operate from vehicle 12v power, as supplied is limited to the CB. The UV5r/BF888 solution can be upgraded to include 12v power leads for around £5 per radio = £20 in total. The PMR446s have no out of a box solution for this.
=============================================

EQUIPMENT SOURCING AND COST:

Baofeng quasi-Ham type equipment:
BF888 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walkie-Talkie-...219wt_1258
UV5r http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...012wt_1275
UV5r/BF888 programming cable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAOFENG-UV-5R-...568wt_1106

Comparative costs Baofeng 4 radio sets vs standard PMR446 4 radio sets
Include rechargeable battery packs
Include drop-in mains smart chargers
Power UV5r 1w/4w BF888 2-3w
Channels UV5r x124 BF888 x16
Wired headset with PTT mike included
Flashlight
FM radio on UV5r
Antenna UV5r removable BF888 Removable
Operate on UK and EU fixed CB channels NO
Operate on PMR446 frequencies UV5r YES BF888 YES
Operate on HAM VHF frequencies UV5r YES BF888 NO
Operate on HAM UHF frequencies UV5r YES BF888 YES
Operate on LPD frequencies UV5r YES BF888 YES
Operate on Marine frequencies UV5r YES BF888 NO
Operate on DISTRESS frequencies UV5r YES BF888 NO
Comparative cost includes programming cable that allows rapid re-programming and cloning of radios.

Cost
UV5r £20
BF888 £10
BF888 £10
BF888 £10
Prog cable £3
Total £53 ( 4x BF888 reduces total to £43)

================================================

PMR446

Motorola tlkr T40 4 Pack http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Motorola-T...185wt_1258

Power 0.5w
Power source AA/AAA batteries. Not included
Charger not included
Radio power 0.5w
No headset included
Flash light None
Antenna FIXED
Cannot be re-programmed
Operate on UK and EU fixed CB channels NO
Operate on PMR446 frequencies YES
Operate on HAM VHF frequencies NO
Operate on HAM UHF frequencies NO
Operate on LPD frequencies NO
Operate on Marine frequencies NO
Operate on DISTRESS frequencies NO
Channels 8

tlkr T40 4 Pack £50

===============================================

CB Radio handheld

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midland-Alan-4...362wt_1275

What you get :
Include rechargeable battery packs
Include smart chargers
Power 4w
Channels 80
No headset included
NO Flashlight
NO FM radio on UV5r
Antenna removable
Operate on UK and EU fixed CB channels YES
Operate on HAM frequencies NO
Operate on Marine frequencies NO
Operate on DISTRESS frequencies NO
Not programmable.

Cost 4 x £110 = £440 (!!!)
==============================================
I recently bought a baofeng along with other bits to improve it or allow charging from 12 sources.

I havnt found it a easy radio to work with if I'm honest.and few people I know would be able to pick it up and use it as easily as a standard cb radio just having it or getting it out the box.

I'm in agreement that if your looking at a usable comm right now for a shtf sit it would be first choice to buy today now.

What I feel is their are many many households still with cb radio stuff in wardrobes cupboards so on.
4x4 off road users have them .truck drivers ,most cb ham radio ops have access to these frequencies too.

But back to today ,survivalist preppers will buy baofengs ,do they understand how to use them ,can they program them.
They can't be charged via 12 v without voltage reducing adaptations.

I'm awaiting to test mine soon for distance to compare to my cb radio hand units.

It may also be that ham frequencies could be restricted in use and repeaters fail or deny you access .

Cost alone the baofeng comes first .
I've said it before baofeng are missing out on a big market not producing a cb ssb handy.
Hi ER

Thanx for the feedback. Your appraisal of the Baofengs is good.

Re range testing the Baofengs, you should be getting about the same range as standard CB ( FM mode) in normal operating environments. From our highish location we can open and operate through repeates 80 miles away. Signals are scratchy at that range byt readable.
I've used CB portables and their big limitation is the antenna, because at 27 MHz the wavelength is so long that even if you have a long, unwieldly whip, the base-loaded, short for its wavelength antenna is a very inefficient radiator and the range of such units is very short. A 2-metre or 70cm band portable can use a full-sized telescoping half-wavelength whip which is an effective radiator, especially if a 1/4 wavelength counterpoise wire is attached to the shield of the antenna connector, to keep the rf from coupling with your body.
I am by far no radio expert but I understand 27 mghz limitations performance.have used am since 70 s ssb fm so on

I totally agree accept both responses.

My thought is that's great when you can work such frequencies legally .operators can .
None of my family close friends are operators ,neither am I.

If I were to choose ham as a hobby I could see the reasoning to spend out on equipment apply for permissions to effect antenna or towers .for me and I guess a lot of others it's just not my first choice because of.
My equipment I have been given ,bought at boot sales wombled so didn't cost a fortune.
I see no reason and would recommend to purchase a baofeng radio, a cheap aa battery case to modify for safer use and nock up a cheap free tiger tail to match antenna .
modify the charging unit for 12 v sources with v reducer.
All these things are on YouTube for guidance and if you can soldering use screw driver and arnt colour blind and have voltage tester simple to follow.

That could be done for under £20 ,a wire diapole could be simply made from scrap wire ,steel reinforced washing line ,even dirty style with electrical connector block if you have no soldering iron.
Several mtrs of coax .
Easily pulled up over a tree limb on string for better signal out mobile or at home.

I actually like the reviews on baofeng uv 82, seems a better stock antenna. Better audio and speeker .

I have back up radio power supplies, amplifiers,varied antennas , spares of numerous types ,mics ,meters matcher and radio books for antenna reference.
Just not the all mode frequency radios.

No doubt ham is the man, just not feasible for all ,after all I'm interested in comms between my family friends most would think I'm potty advising them to buy ham equipment sit the course..
But I do have the 2 m 70 option for post shtf or emergency use.
I will def add ssb mode at some point soon.

Keep the info coming ,more info means better informed decisions ,thank you for time you have spent on the forums posts .very detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4