Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Talk about Rip Off prices!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Decided our bathroom was life expired last week when i leaned against the wall and the tiles fell off, I need a decent sized shower approx 1200 by 900, plus WC and a basin, the floor needs tiling or laminated flooring and tiles halfway up the wall, room is only 2,5 meters by 2,75 meters, it needs a new radiotor and new extractor. Went to the Bath Store for a quote, Materials came to over £3000 and £5300 to fit it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Got to find myself a decent local tradesman who can do the lot for under £6K
DIY???
That does sound a bit expensive, NR. Are you up for a bit of DIY??
To much work for me, I'm crap at plumbing and tiling
That's the trouble these days ......everyone wants the big bucks ....right now ! ..... people / companies seem to think in terms of what they think the market can stand and what they can get away with....thing is the trend is set most ALL ...no matter what product or service, operate in this fashion ...its not a fair price structure ...its what can we get away with, there are some exceptions no doubt but i can't bring any to mind right now....to rip anyone off ....means you do it from deliberate intent from the start ...you are fully aware....just because most others DO does not mean you need to follow such actions yourself....it does not make it okay or Normal to be the same and perpetuate such behaver....do unto others as you would have them do to you.....sounds old fashioned ...but a good saying as it ever was intended to be and to convey fairness in any dealings between folk.....this is almost LOST ....and from the top down....so its no wonder why down here .....people seem to think if they do it up THERE why not down here......equally wrong .....if you are of good hart.
SS,

That is partly true but it is caused by the fact that we are taxes so high. A fifth of almost everything is tax, VAT, although what value is added is beyond me. Then we have all the corporate stuff, training etc. which we must do. Insurance, vehicle tax, corporation and personal tax. All that and more is on the person doing the install as well as all the material that they purchase. So you pay VAT on taxes as well.

This means that the people at the coalface don't get as much as you think and our greedy government gets about 70% of the whole lot.
Could not agree more SD .....when i say top down the gov is on the top and legislate and use the ( LAW ) which is designed for the likes of us ...but not for the likes of the top...who appear to be exempt from any law or wrong doing and never go to prison.

So do we need to use the same ethics as them....just to end up as bad to the core as the former.......making a stand starts in your head and if the heart agrees that makes it so.....free spirits make free choices you are free to do good or bad deeds only you can make the call...........in all things.
The shop staff appear surprised that I objected to what would be labour charges working out at £1,150 A DAY for a fitter and his mate !!!!
Yes we have the same goings on around here NR ..............and they seem to get away with it ...which is more astonishing .....never seems to come my way though ...but there again i sleep good .
How about a bit of bartering then, NR? Do you know someone who would be able to help you? As you say, it is the labour that is the expensive bit. A little shopping around can get you the items you need at fairly good prices (personally I find eBay a godsend for lots of things), but could you swap skills with someone?
Pages: 1 2