Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Off Grid On a budget
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I am going to start a new project and I am going to do it on a budget which I feel is reachable, I will progress this thread over time until this project reaches off grid stage.

I hope it is of use to some.

Stage one buy a boat:

[Image: 2u6oaae.jpg]

This is the hard bit your need between £1500 to £3000 but its an investment.

I picked this one up for £2800 not the £4995 in the window display.

The boat will be with me tomorrow.

Good luck N hope it pans out for you.
[Image: 2mr5t0k.jpg]

I went for a Inboard engine over an outboard.

[Image: 2e37rzc.jpg]

[Image: 107jq6r.jpg]

I picked this up this morning 285 watt solar panel with a 19% efficiency rating which puts it in high performance class.

I managed to get it for £125 with a 10 meter 6mm cable with MC4 connectors fitted.

Its going to fill the whole roof of the boat it might look bit odd but I don't mind.

I am thinking of using chain to secure it in place.

Neat, keep us informed please, FYI I saw a prepper article where they also bought a single diesel engined cabin cruiser and fitted it with extra fuel tanks and extra water tanks , PV panels , Reverse Osmosis water filter and even a rudimentary sail so they did not have to constantly use the engine, it had an improvised liftable keel fitted to one side of the hull.
Interesting NR I am looking for a out board just for extra bit of back up if I get an engine problem, also spare tank would be easy to install.

As for water tanks I will aim for around 50L for now and upgrade to 100L if the boat allows me, unlike my other boat this one is not metal so I will need to learn how this boat ticks weight wise.

After solar will be log burner install again more weight.

And yes I will keep posting as I progress.

IIRC the article I saw (ages ago) the skipper / own sacrificed 2 berths out of 8 on the Cabin cruiser to accommodate the extra water and fuel capacity, the sail was a very basic design that looked like a viking longboat sail, just a big square sheet, it also had extra ventilation and metalwork installed to enable a wood burner to be fitted safely in the galley.
Just remembered the boat was berthed and used on a Lake in the US / Canada dunno if that makes a difference with it not being a sea going boat.
What are the dimensions N ....a pic of the rear would be nice
(28 April 2016, 08:11)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]What are the dimensions N ....a pic of the rear would be nice

I don't have a pic of the rear all I have are a few stock photos they sent me, its on route to me today from up north, I will know more later today.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5